What do you think are the differences between ArcScan vs WinTopo?

Jump to solution
09-20-2016 09:04 PM
Samy_PatricioManosalvas_Granja
New Contributor II

Hello everyone

I'm new to geographic information systems and would like to know what your opinion on the vectorization of images with tools R2V

What do you think are the differences between ArcScan vs WinTopo?

thanks for your help

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Have you looked into ArcScan tutorial ? Here is the link to it http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/pdf/arcscan-tutorial.pdf .

I have done that in the past however, if you are planning a lot of image then it is a little bit too much. I have had never use WinTopo. You need to google it and compare for yourself to decide which one is best.  Will you be able to use the image once you are done with the WinTopo work and then bring back it to ArcMap ? What is the result for that image ? This is something you need to think about it.

My question to you is why are you planning to use ArcScan ? what is your purpose to use it ? 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Any comparison  would be subjective and based on the results of the particular input being used.  Fully-automatic or user guided would be a preference or imposed by workflow.  There are many other decisions, do you have a particular focus that you are interested in guide subsequent comments?  You have also limited the comparison to these two when there are obviously others as well

New Contributor II

thank you very much for your answer

I am a beginner in GIS and I had focused only on those tools, but now I see that there is some, thanks for the help.

My main objective was to know that is what makes ArcScan potential compared to other similar tools to WinTopo.

regards

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Have you looked into ArcScan tutorial ? Here is the link to it http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/pdf/arcscan-tutorial.pdf .

I have done that in the past however, if you are planning a lot of image then it is a little bit too much. I have had never use WinTopo. You need to google it and compare for yourself to decide which one is best.  Will you be able to use the image once you are done with the WinTopo work and then bring back it to ArcMap ? What is the result for that image ? This is something you need to think about it.

My question to you is why are you planning to use ArcScan ? what is your purpose to use it ? 

New Contributor II

Hello

Thanks for the help

The purpose of using the ArcScan or WinTopo is because I have ancient and important maps are only in PDF or image formats. These maps are needed vectorized so that they can publish to the community and can be modified by other colleagues

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

You can try one map if you want and follow that instructions and decide if this is useful.

0 Kudos