Want to import topology and attributes from CAD

07-27-2012 11:52 AM
JimDahl
Occasional Contributor
I am trying to eliminate the use of AutoCAD Map for data updates.  I am able to import lines, text, polygons, and other features from within a CAD drawing, but I want the object data that is attached to the entities.  I also want to import the polygon topology that was created in CAD, instead of having to export from CAD as a shapefile.  Any suggestions are welcome.  Jim
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
JuanLuera
Occasional Contributor III
Hola Jim,

In order to import attributes you need to first setup a DWG seed file (http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00100000001t000000.htm). This is setup in CAD by itself. There is no loading of anything.

Using the AutoCAD application, you define a block definition with attributes that correspond to the attribute fields in the ArcGIS point feature class. The insertion base point you define for the block defines the center of the ArcGIS point feature and its symbology.

So you will need to create a block entity in a AutoCAD DWG. In this Block entity it will have attributes that reference your Feature in ArcGIS's field names. Once this is saved you will use this dwg as the seed file for the feature to export correctly into a dwg.

As for walking though how to create a .dwg seed file here is the workflow from our help:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Preparing_a_DWG_seed_file/001000000073...

1. Convert labels to annotation for all the fields you want in AutoCAD:
http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/30328

-They have to be stored in a database (not the map) also you will have to export your shapefile to a file geodatabase to store them.
-They will come across as text in the annotation in CAD..

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00100000001q000000.htm

2. Export to a block entity in CAD:

Here is the information you need in order to convert data from an ESRI data format to AutoCAD, with block definitions, and the TAG names preserved in the output.

*You will have to create a AutoCAD seed file (template) that has BLOCK entities, with editable tag values, attributes defined as text

1] Add the following fields with the indicated definitions to the attribute table of the data to be converted.

CADType, Text field, length 32, populated with the word "Insert".
RefName, Text field, length 255, populated with the BLOCK name, as specified in the AutoCAD seed file.

2] Add additional fields to the geodatabase feature class attribute table, defined as Text fields, with appropriate lengths, with names that match the TAG names from the block in the seed file to be used when converting the data with Export to CAD.

*Note- Tags created in the AutoCAD seed file need to be identical to the field names of your feature class.

3] The new fields must then be populated with appropriate values, using the field calculator in ArcMap.

When you create data that will be converted to an output AutoCAD file, you create the field(s) in the attribute table originally with names that will match the names used for the TAGS in the AutoCAD seed file. This eliminates duplication of fields in the attribute table.

4] Running Export to CAD on the feature, each point feature became a block in the DWG, and the values for each tag are editable in AutoCAD with the ATTEDIT command.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00100000001r000000.htm

Gracias, Jim!
0 Kudos
JimDahl
Occasional Contributor
I might not have been clear on what I am seeking.  I do not think there is a way to get the object data imported from CAD so I have tried ArcGIS for AutoCAD.  This works when I use tool EXPORT TO CAD.  The attributes get into the drawing I create and can be read from ArcGIS.  However, I want to copy these CAD entities into another DWG.  The Attributes do not follow into the new drawing no matter what method I have used.  I want to be able to copy the feature class from one DWG to another.  Importing the feature class from the Feature Class menu in CAD only brings in the entities with the table Structure only, no data.

Thanks, Jim
0 Kudos
DonKuehne
Esri Contributor
If you want to eliminate the need for AutoCAD Map 3D for maintaining attributes on AutoCAD entities you can download and use the ArcGIS for AutoCAD plug-in from Esri.  It also supports connection to ArcGIS Services as a bonus, and its free.  The ArcGIS Geoprocessing tool EXPORT TO CAD will create attributed feature classes that are usable in the plug-in.  And the Feature classes created in ArcGIS for AutoCAD are directly usable by ArcMap as attributed feature classes.
0 Kudos
ShitalDhakal__GISP
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jim,

Its been few years, but I was just wondering if you had any luck exporting the topology from Map 3D to ArcGIS? If so, can you please outline the steps for me?

Thanks,

Shital

0 Kudos
JuanLuera

Hola Shital,

I outlined a detailed workflow that within Support Services, have seen great success. If you have any further question on the workflow and are unsure, you are always welcome to log a support case with our Desktop Team, from within Support Services. Gracias, Shital!

Juan

0 Kudos
JimDahl
Occasional Contributor

i am trying to understand what you are telling me. do i need to log a service request to see if this is possible?

Jim

0 Kudos
ShitalDhakal__GISP
Occasional Contributor

Hey Juan, thanks for the reply.

I want to give those steps outlined above a try but am wondering if those steps are for bringing topology data from CAD to ArcGIS or the other way round?

0 Kudos
JuanLuera

Jim,

My apologies for any confusion on my response above but I was just responding to Shital's post. Where it looks like they are encountering a similar issue as you had encountered, and I just wanted to see if my initial suggested would help them in what they seeing. If you are still encountering an issue on the Export To CAD, please do log a support case for the team to work with you on this matter. Gracias, Jim!

Esri Support Home 

Juan

0 Kudos