Versioning GDB and GDBMS

08-27-2014 01:46 PM
MathewSuran
New Contributor III

Does anyone have a best practice when it comes to dbms and versioning gdb's?  I have done a considerable amount of research but there is so much info it is hard to get a clear cut direction on how to accomplish this.  I have messed around with SQL Server and created a test db to connect to through my client computer but I still feel like I am missing something.  Thanks in advance!

Mat

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MathewSuran
New Contributor III

Thank you for that info.  I am new to gdb management so I am not sure if I will answer these correctly.

1. "Registering as Versioned"-Don't know what this means.  I don't have SDE installed.

2. Don't have SDE installed.

3. I think this is what I am looking for.

To clarify, I have created a gdb in ArcMap 10.2.2 Catalog with 214,000 features.  Since at this time, anyone can edit (and potentially delete data) the gdb, this is a problem that we are trying to address.  I have been looking for the best way to accomplish this task.  From what I gather, we need to create roles that have admin/edit/read-only capabilities to be able to keep track of when/who made changes and to allow us to have a rollback feature for "accidents".

It is my understanding that this is where versioning the gdb comes into play.  I could be wrong, but from what I read was that I need a database management system, ex SQL, postgress, etc to be able to maintain multiple versions as changes are made to the gdb.  I chose SQL based off of ease of use recommendations.  I have installed 2014 SQL Express (which is free, but not supported as you stated in the previous post which I will change).  I have not been able to figure out what to do next which is why I am here. I am looking for a workflow to explain what I need (as stated in the begining) to accomplish what we are trying to do.  I hope this helps.

We have ArcMap 10.1 and 10.2 on numerous machines in our office with a single IIS Server machine.  That Server hosts ArcServer 10.2.1 and SQL (don't know if that is best practice).  My machine/role is admin for the server and gdms. 

0 Kudos
MathewSuran
New Contributor III

Just wanted to follow up with any more assistance or advice you can lend ASenGupta-esristaff‌.  Thanks!

Mat

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

You don't need ArcSDE installed for 1 and 2. You just needed an sde geodatabase.

What you described in the last post is actually pointing to Point #2 (Creating new Versions in the sde geodatabase?)

I would suggest you go through these links to get a good idea about the Versions and different scenarios where they are used:

What is a version?:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

A quick tour of versioning:

Version scenarios:

In short, each Version in a geodatabase is a Virtual Copy of the data present in that geodatabase. Each editor\viewer can be assigned a different version, with Access Level of the version set accordingly.

Hope this information helps for now.

0 Kudos