using sdeimport to update an existing SDE layer w/an updated FC

08-19-2015 10:17 AM
BartPittari
New Contributor III

I've got an existing SDE polygon layer that I'm looking to update the features in.  The updated features are in a File GDB.  My situation is such that the people who are responsible for the updates requested a script to do it.

The easiest way I can see doing this via a script (since we have to put it into multiple environments) was via the sdeimport -o init command, where features are deleted and then updated.

When I try to put my info in, I get a message saying the gdb layer.sdx file doesn't exist. 

This is what I'm entering:

sdeimport -o init -l old_file,shape -f /home/me/my_test_tables.gdb/new_layer -v -i 4321 -s targetserver -u myuser -p mypass

And this is the result I'm getting:

ArcSDE 9.2  for Oracle10g Build 1271 Tue Jun 24 07:47:53  2008

SDEX File Import         Administration Utility

-----------------------------------------------------

Export file /home/me/my_test_layer.gdb/new_layer.SDX does not exist.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

You can simply script this, using Delete Features tool and then using the Append tool.

The 'sdeimport -o init' command cannot update a layer in sde gdb with records from a layer in File gdb directl. To execute this command you need an SDE Export file to be present first.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

ArcGIS 9.2 has been retired for over three years now, and ArcSDE command line tools have not (and will not) ever supported file geodatabase.  The task would be easy with a modern release of ArcGIS Desktop (with Python scripting), but it's been too long since I last used 9.2 to begin to say how difficult the task might be.

- V

0 Kudos