Using mxd's

Jump to solution
01-05-2018 08:35 PM
janehansen
New Contributor III

Hi I am using arcinfo 10.5 but also have a version of 10.0 on another computer.  I am doing work for a company that uses 10.0 so they want all the work done using version 10.0. Is it possible to do my work, and create my map template using 10.5, then save the mxd as a save copy, import the mxd copy and associated files into 10.0 version and save the mxd as a 10.0 version.  Would this provide my client with an end product that can be opened and queried using his 10.0 version?

Thanks

Jane

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you can save maps to older versions

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/map/working-with-arcmap/saving-a-map.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_47...

similarly with projects.

The caveat is that you need to know what is stripped out as the version number decreases. 

So if you work in 10.5 and want to save in 10.0, then everything that was added between versions gets removed.

You may not be left with much except the basics, so you will need to experiment and see what remains on the old version

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you can save maps to older versions

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/map/working-with-arcmap/saving-a-map.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_47...

similarly with projects.

The caveat is that you need to know what is stripped out as the version number decreases. 

So if you work in 10.5 and want to save in 10.0, then everything that was added between versions gets removed.

You may not be left with much except the basics, so you will need to experiment and see what remains on the old version

janehansen
New Contributor III

Thank you!

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Adding to Dan's comment (same link, scrolled down),

Saving a map—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Functionality or properties that are not supported when saving to all releases newer than ArcGIS 10.0 are also not available in 10.0. In addition, here are some other notes specific to saving to ArcGIS 10.0:

• Label, display, and hyperlink macros that use Python expressions will be reverted to VBScript when saved to 10.0. The expression will remain so that it can be ported back to VBScript or JScript.
  • Layers using new Maplex properties at 10.1, such as key numbering and label class level feature connection options, will lose these capabilities when saved to 10.0.
  • Symbols using 32-bit PNG images will lose transparency when saved to 10.0.
  • LAS dataset and WMTS layers will be dropped from the map when saved to 10.0.
  • Map's displaying time data in live mode will lose that capability when saved to 10.0.
  • Legends on the page layout will lose their dynamic, text wrapping, and columning abilities when saved to 10.0.
  • Dot density renderers using the capability to maintain density by dot value will lose that capability.
  • Feature service layers will be saved but will be unable to connect to the feature service in 10.0.
  • Layers referencing geodatabase datasets with functionality specific to 10.1 will not be able to connect to these data sources in 10.0.

Think Location
janehansen
New Contributor III

Thanks for your information it is very helpful.

Jane