Using Map Packaging as an "archive" of ESRI MXD's

Jump to solution
02-02-2015 07:39 AM
lelaharrington
New Contributor III

doe anyone have experience in using map packages as an archival method for Mxd's after projects are finished. I am Looking into this as a way to store projects so they can be moved around and links not be broken

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

It is a valid option, since it includes the data and also holds reference to geoprocessing results (just look after opening you mpk in the Results windows). The only downside I see, is that if you have a large number of MXD's that reference the same datasource, you are duplicating the data in those packages.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

It is a valid option, since it includes the data and also holds reference to geoprocessing results (just look after opening you mpk in the Results windows). The only downside I see, is that if you have a large number of MXD's that reference the same datasource, you are duplicating the data in those packages.

lelaharrington
New Contributor III

i am looking into this so we can just finish a project, archive it, and if we ever have to come back to it we have the data captured in time for the last point in which we used the map. 

Thank you

Lela Harrington

0 Kudos