Upgrading ArcSDE 10 installation to sp2

06-08-2011 04:25 AM
HugoAhlenius
Occasional Contributor
I am trying to upgrade a SQL Server 2005 setup, on 32-bit Windows Server 2003, to ArcSDE 10 sp2 - but it won't start after the service pack is applied!

All I get is:
esri_sde service failed during initialization.
Please check event log or error log files.
Error starting esri_sde service(0)
Could not start ArcSDE -- Check Network, $SDEHOME disk, DBMS settings and dbinit
.sde.

And the log file says:
-------------------------------------------------------
ArcSDE 10.0  for SQL Server Build 1343 Thu Feb 17 11:45:42  2011
Connected to instance . . .
WARNING: SDETMP: Setting temp path to c:\temp
ERROR in checking system stored procedures (1).
Run the Upgrade Geodatabase tool to install/upgrade system tables.
Refer ArcSDE installation guide for instructions.

I have tried to rebuild the service, but that doesn't help. giomgr_esri_sde.log doesn't contain anything useful.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
HugoAhlenius
Occasional Contributor
Any tips/ideas are welcome!
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Starting with ArcSDE 10.0, all upgrades which involve ArcSDE instances with geodatabase functionality
must be done from an ArcGIS client (Python or ArcCatalog GUI).  The documentation covers upgrade
procedures.

- V
0 Kudos
HugoAhlenius
Occasional Contributor
Thanks - I just figured it out... I kind of assumed that the service needed to be running to perform the upgrade (I didn't remember from the sp1 routine, which I assume was the same).

So I did a Direct Connection from another machine, in ArcCatalog, and run the upgrade database tool, and now things seem to work the way they should!
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Yes, realizing that Direct Connect is required is the key to unravel the chicken-egg
conundrum of an ArcGIS upgrade of an application server before it can be started.

- V
0 Kudos
HugoAhlenius
Occasional Contributor
Vince, it would be handy if the error message on the server (when trying to start the service) was more useful (pointing me in the right direction), as well as the download page for the service pack - the latter could have mentioned the direct connect, for instance.
0 Kudos
HugoAhlenius
Occasional Contributor
Vince, it would be handy if the error message on the server (when trying to start the service) was more useful (pointing me in the right direction), as well as the download page for the service pack - the latter could have mentioned the direct connect, for instance.

And the log files!
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
The error does refer you to the documentation, which does state that Direct Connect
is necessary... You are certainly free to contact Tech Support or use the Ideas page
to recommend a change. I'm not sure how a recommendation to circumvent reading
the upgrade documentation would be received.

- V
0 Kudos
JohnLovato
New Contributor III

After upgrading from my enterprise geodatabase from 10.1 SP1 to 10.2.2 Patch 290200 I cannot start the new 10.2 application server.

I am running application server as "root" not "sde" Linux user...

In ArcCatalog, the "General" tab "Upgrade Status" section says:

"This 10.2.2 Patch 290200 geodatabase matches the ArcGIS release you are currently using.

When trying to start the 10.2 Application Server in Linux I get:

10.2.2 geodatabase

ST_Geometry Schema Owner: (SDE) Type Release: 1007

Instance initialized for ((sde)) . . .

Connected to instance . . .

C:\Users\TEMP\AppData\Local\Temp\arcC63F\: No such file or directory

WARNING: SDETMP: Setting temp path to /tmp

Run the Upgrade Geodatabase tool to install/upgrade system tables.

Refer to the ArcGIS help topics for instructions.

Run the Upgrade Geodatabase tool Could not start ArcSDE -- Check Network, $SDEHOME disk, DBMS settings and dbinit.sde.

How can I get my application server to start up?  Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
JohnLovato
New Contributor III

UPDATE:  I have created an sde account and still get the same result when trying to use sdemon to start the application server.  Please advise...

0 Kudos