Upgrade to 10.1 error Cannot upgrade a user schema geodatabase

Jump to solution
08-29-2012 07:18 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: nsridb

We are trying to upgrade a version 10.0 64 bit arcsde to a 10.1 64bit version (on Red Hat 5 64bit, Oracle 11 64bit).

We are getting the error message:
Cannot upgrade a user schema geodatabase
when the master schema geodatabase is at a previous release.
The master schema geodatabase must be upgraded first.

Unfortunately we don't have any user schema geodatabases as far as I can tell so can anyone tell me what the problem is.

I've checked the geodatabases using sdemon -o info -I instance and only the SDE master geodatabase appears.

Any help?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think we may have found what was causing the problem here. My ArcCatalog client was using Oracle InstantClient v11.2 to make the direct connection to the ArcSDE/oracle server. Although InstantClient is supposed to be compatible with ArcSDE 10.2 it appears there are still problems. I therefore installed the full Oracle client software. Checked the path and the TNS_ADMIN pointed at the right locations and tried again. This time successfully. Now we need to try it for real.

Caroline

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: yyngoh

Hi,

what user were you connected with when trying to upgrade? If it is not the SDE user, try connecting as SDE user.

Eugene
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was logged in as SDE so it shouldn't be that, and we've granted SDE all the relevant permissions.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think we may have found what was causing the problem here. My ArcCatalog client was using Oracle InstantClient v11.2 to make the direct connection to the ArcSDE/oracle server. Although InstantClient is supposed to be compatible with ArcSDE 10.2 it appears there are still problems. I therefore installed the full Oracle client software. Checked the path and the TNS_ADMIN pointed at the right locations and tried again. This time successfully. Now we need to try it for real.

Caroline
0 Kudos
PaulGrimes
New Contributor III
Hi I have a similar issue but I'm using the full client, paths and libraries are correct .. but still no joy.

Did you solution work and if so what client version did you install please.

Thanks

Paulg
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I installed oracle client 11.2.0. It came as two zip files win32_11gR2_database_1of2.zip and win32_11gR2_database_2of2.zip.
I installed the 32 bit client even though I have a 64 bit PC as I believe this is necessary, though I might be wrong.

I installed it to the folder D:\Tools\Oracle.
The only oracle directory in the path was then D:\tools\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin
the TNS_ADMIN environment variable was set to D:\tools\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\NETWORK\ADMIN
I made sure the SQLNET.ORA and TNSNAMES.ora files were in this folder.

I don't have any other environment variables set for libraries or such.

We are now retrying the upgrade in test from start to finish to see if it still works before hopefully attempting it for real next week.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
You should be able to upgrade even when using the Oracle Instant Client.  If this is not working, please contact Esri tech support so we can figure out what is happening in specific instances.

Thanks,

Kim
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Paulg

Thanks Caroline for taking the time to reply.  Thanks Kim for the instruction..

I have a call logged with Esri-UK and its still in progress - I'll update the status if/when we get it working

just as background I have a 11.2.0.2 64bit oracle MasterSchema Geodatabse on a Win 2003r2 64 bit box and I have tried with Desktop Advanced 10.1 on the server using a 32bit client with the TNS sorted etc.  as well as on a new pc on the newtork with a 11.2.0.2 client.  I can connect, I can do a prerequisit test (perfect) but it errors on the upgrade bit.  I have enabled tracing in oracle and all looks ok, normal enought queries and request and no errors!   

[Fri Sep 07 15:36:30 2012] Cannot upgrade a user schema geodatabase
when the master schema geodatabase is at a previous release.
The master schema geodatabase must be upgraded first.
[Fri Sep 07 15:36:30 2012] ERROR: Geodatabase schema object install not completed (-522).

there is only one instance
SELECT * FROM SDE.INSTANCES;

INSTANCE_ID INSTANCE_NAME                    CREATION_     STATUS TIME_LAST

----------- -------------------------------- --------- ---------- ---------

0 SDE                              16-DEC-09          1 06-SEP-12

If anybody has any contribution - by way of ideas of how I should go about resolving this I appreciate the follow-up.

Paulg
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

ESRI UK Tech support are aware of the issue I was having as it was them that suggested the InstantClient might be suspect. Though when he further investigated he reported that the problem with InstantClient has apparently been fixed in ArcSDE 10.1. By then however I had installed the full client (software only) on my PC and the upgrade worked.

We have just performed another successful test of the upgrade process. The only problem we are seeing now which we need to resolve before trying the upgrade for real is that the XML metadata is being corrupted when we upgrade from 9.2 to 10.0 and I'm not sure why or how to fix it post upgrade. I upgrade all the metadata on the live system so it is using the new ArcGIS metadata format (it was FGDC before).

Caroline
0 Kudos
shirlymanimalethu
New Contributor
did you resolve this issue ? we are getting the same error .. just opened a ticket with ESRI on this ..
0 Kudos