Upgrade SDE Instance from 10.2.1 to 10.2.2

04-25-2014 06:40 AM
jamesmuir
New Contributor II
I have recently upgraded our server to the 10.2.2 release of ArcGIS. In catalog, I have the option to upgrade our instances that are at 10.2 to 10.2.2. When i upgrade, the Upgrade Status states "This 10.2.2 geodatabase matches the ArcGIS release you are currently using".  However, if i look at an instance that is at 10.2.1, the upgrade status states "This 10.2.1 geodatabase matches the ArcGIS release you are currently using" which does not seem correct. I have verified that my ArcCatalog version is 10.2.2.3552. Can anyone provide some insight into this?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
James,

Its a known issue and is being looked into by the concerned team at ESRI.

If you would like to get more information regarding this, I would suggest contacting the ESRI Technical Support.

[ NIM100932 - Upgrade geodatabase option grayed out for the user schema geodatabase of 10.2.1 while upgrading to geodatabase 10.2.2.]
0 Kudos
PF1
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hello Asrujit,

We seem to be having the same (or similar issue).  Is there a resolution to this?  We are doing Geodatabase replication, but do not manage all databases that participate in the replication.  Per the Replication and geodatabase releases help article:

For all replication types, the child replica geodatabase must be the same geodatabase release as or a later release than the parent replica geodatabase.

We control many of the 'child' databases but unfortunately do not control the 'parent' geodatabases.  Some of the parent geodatabases have been upgraded to 10.2.2 and we are reactivly trying to upgrade our child geodatabase to the same release (or higher) so that we are in compliance with the documentation.  Risk is low since the schemas are pretty tightly controlled (low risk of introducing new functionality). 

Running SQL Server 2008 R2 64-bit.  Existing GDB version is 10.2.1:

Inline image 1

Installed Esri ArcGIS Desktop Advanced client v10.2.2:

Inline image 2

Direct Connection using the SQL Server Native Client 2008 R2 10.50.1600.1

The Upgrade Geodatabase (highlighed in yellow below) is greyed out. 

Inline image 3

We have also tried to run the Upgrade Geodatabase tool with no success.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Its hard to stay compliant with the documented specs if there is no way to upgrade.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Patrick Foppe‌ You are not running into an issue. This is an expected behaviour, mentioned in the following Help document:

Preparing to upgrade a geodatabase in SQL Server:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

You can upgrade directly from a 9.3.x, 10, 10.1, or 10.2 geodatabase to a 10.2.2 geodatabase if your database is at a supported release. There is no geodatabase upgrade from version 10.2.1 to 10.2.2; all changes made between those releases were implemented in the ArcGIS client applications.

PF1
by

Hi Asrujit - Thank you for pointing that out.  We must have missed that while reviewing the upgrade instructions.  Appreciate the feedback. 

0 Kudos
jamesmuir
New Contributor II
Asrujit,

Thank you for the response.
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
James,

It seems I hurried a bit with my response. Whether you are hitting that NIM will depend upon certain other factors.

Can you please confirm whether you are using a SQL Server sde gdb or an Oracle sde gdb?
If you are using an Oracle sde gdb--is it a User schema geodatabase?
0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hello- If you apply the:

ArcGIS 10.2.2 for (Desktop, Engine, Server) Geodatabase and Feature Service Sync Optimization Patch published on 10-06-2014 to your desktop and Server, you then will be required to updgrade your sde instances via the desktop.

Upon upgrade, the Upgrade Status for Database Properties in your ArcCatalog SDE connections will read:

'This 10.2.2 Patch 2290200 geodatabase matches the ArcGIS release you are currently using.'

We are also a SQL2008 R2 shop and have encountered no issues with this patch.  Performance seems a little better, syncs seem more stable.

0 Kudos
PF1
by

Hi David - Just curious... do both the child AND the parent DB instances need to be updated?

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Yes, once you apply the patch to desktop, you then update all of your SDE instances.  We have like 15 one-way rep pairs going from 5 edit parent sde instances to our 1 production child sde instance . . . no problems....