Unable to edit points

Jump to solution
06-19-2014 08:27 AM
AlexP
by
New Contributor
Hey guys,

I have set a ton of points for different houses around different parcels and some of the points need to be deleted and moved.  I have about 15-20 layers in the current project I am working on.  Unfortunately when I try to use the edit tool I am unable to select the points.  Oddly enough, I also have lines connecting these points and I am able to edit those.

If I open the points shapefile in a new arcgis file, I am able to edit the points.  This is not reasonable however as there are thousands of points and I need to edit files directly over certain parcels.

Anyone have a suggestion for this?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Alex,
Is the point layer set as selectable?
Can you select points with ArcMap's selection tool?
Does select by attribute work?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
sounds like something is up with the *.mxd, why not add the parcels file(s) to the new project as well?
0 Kudos
AlexP
by
New Contributor
sounds like something is up with the *.mxd, why not add the parcels file(s) to the new project as well?

This is what I am doing currently.  It's kind of annoying though because I have to bounce between my default mxd and the editor mxd.  Finding a way to avoid the second mxd would be prime.  I would be happy to upload any screenshots you require.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
I recently dealt with a similar issue from one of my former students, it couldn't be resolved and no bug on the NIM list could be identified, the work around was as suggested
0 Kudos
AlexP
by
New Contributor
I recently dealt with a similar issue from one of my former students, it couldn't be resolved and no bug on the NIM list could be identified, the work around was as suggested

Damn, that sucks.  Well thanks!  I guess the best way would be to finish adding points on a section of 500 houses then go back and make sure the points are dead on.
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Damn, that sucks...

Welcome to the real world of GIS and database management.  Sometimes you just gotta roll up your sleeves and get a little dirt under finger nails....
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
AlexP
by
New Contributor
Welcome to the real world of GIS and database management.  Sometimes you just gotta roll up your sleeves and get a little dirt under finger nails....

Yeah, I've been working with GIS for about 2-3 years now.  It was funny because someone a couple days ago asked me if I thought my job would be taken over by computers some day.  I replied that it wouldn't happen in my lifetime.  hahahaha Esri has done great with the program but damn there's so many bugs still.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Alex,
0 Kudos
AlexP
by
New Contributor
Alex,

I was going through your ideas and it seemed something was a bit screwy with the selection.  When I checked the selection option after right clicking the points layer, everything was greyed out.  I went to my lines layer and set it as the only selectable layer then did the same thing back to the points layer, it worked.

Select by attributes worked before I applied that fix.

Honestly, thank you.  This just saved me loads of time!  I would definitely recommend adding this somewhere because I've seen this question asked before and there was no answer that actually fixed the problem.
0 Kudos