Unable to create spatial database connection to SQL Server 2008 from ArcCatalog

07-12-2010 08:28 AM
Anne-MarieFrankland
New Contributor
Dear All,

Unable to create spatial database connection to SQL Server 2008 from ArcCatalog 9.3.1

Creating spatial database connections via direct connect as below works fine for both database authentication or windows authentication:
Server: myServer
Service: sde:sqlserver:myServer
Database: myDatabase

Creating spatial database connections via SDE connect as below works fine for database authentication but not for windows authentication:
Server: myServer
Service: 5151
Database: myDatabase

I've checked the following:
- Log files give Error (10) a generic connection error
- The Windows login in has READ and EXECUTE permissions to %SDEHOME%\bin

The esri_sde service was set up via the post installation wizard to use SQL Server authentication. I'm presuming this should not matter given the windows login as the permissions to the service as described above?

I'm having this issue when I login to the server machine and use the ArcCatlog on ther server. Making spatial database connections of any type fails from a machine other than the server.

Thank you,
Anne.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
If ArcSDE works locally, then you shuld be looking for a networking issue,
like a misconfigured firewall.

- V
0 Kudos
YasunariTosa1
New Contributor
SQL Server 2008 R2 gets "Connections to this edition of the database server are not supported".
I get this message under ArcCatalog 10.0 Build 2414.

Can I have a hotfix so that I can test ArcSDE under Sql Server 2008 R2?

Thank you.
0 Kudos
MarkTaylor
New Contributor
Did this ever get resolved. I can connect as an SDE but not directly to the server. I receive the same "Connections to this edition of the database are not supported".
0 Kudos
MarhensaAditya_Hadi
New Contributor III
It just weird, when you are using SQL Server EXPRESS 2008,
you can Add Database Server, no more "Connections to this edition of the database server are not supported"

And, no.
What we are talking about is not "Add Database Connection", but Add Database Server.
Add Database Connection just both works on SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server Express 2008.

Why we resist to use Add Database Server, and consider it as important is because:
to set privilege of ArcGISSOC user when we are using ArcGIS Server to create web editable map service layer (feature-access).
In the manual help of ArcGIS Server, for ArcGIS server could use feature access properly,
we have to right click the Database Server, and then select Permissions,
and set ArcGISSOC user as user and admin on that database server.

When we use SQL Server Express 2008, we could do that without problem.
But on SQL Server 2008, we can't.

Is it a bug?

We need to use SQL Server, not SQL Server Express,
because the Express one has limitation: only single core used, only support 4 GB database, and more limitation.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
This is not a bug, it's how the software was intended to operate -- ArcSDE Workgroup (Database Server)
is *only* supported with SQL-Server Express.  If you want to use Standard or Enterprise SQL-Server, you
must install Enterprise ArcSDE (Database Connection), and administer it as an Enterprise install.

- V
0 Kudos
MarhensaAditya_Hadi
New Contributor III
oh.. i see..
thank you for the answer.. 🙂
0 Kudos
JustinNgan
New Contributor II
Hello, I read in a previous post that for Enterprise SQL one must install Enterprise SDE in order to create Database Server Connections. Is this still true? I'm asking if this is still true since from helpdesk, I am being told to avoid installation of Enterprise ArcSDE and use direct connect.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Your question is completely unrelated to this thread (which is about the difference
between Workgroup and Enterprise ArcSDE).  There is no requirement to install
application server binaries to get Direct Connect access to an Enterprise ArcSDE
installation, but Direct Connect to an Enterprise ArcSDE instance is still Enterprise
ArcSDE (which technically operates against an Enterprise, Standard or Express
SQL-Server instance).

If you do not understand the direction given by Tech Support, you should contact
them again until it is understood.

- V
0 Kudos