Unable register database with arc gis server

12-23-2013 08:28 AM
DharmenderGupta
New Contributor
Hi All,

I have created an Enterprise Geodatabase in Oracle 11g DB.
When I try to register this DB with Arc GIS Server either from arc gis desktop or arc gis manager it says "The file path does not exist or is too long (> 512 chars) or has invalid characters .]

Can anyone let me know what could be the reason for this.

Thanks in advance..
0 Kudos
20 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hello,

Can you provide the path to your SDE connection file?
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Can you please verify that the version of your Oracle client matches that of your database?  You say that you have an Oracle 11g database, but you need to first make sure that your client is of the same of later version.  If your database is 11g R2 (as an example, 11.2.0.2) but your client is 11g R1 (as an example, 11.1.0.9) or 10g (as an example, 10.2.0.1) then you could run into issues.  Also, have you installed the full version (administrator) of the client or a different version? 

If the above doesn't help, then refer to the following...

Which versions of ArcGIS Server and ArcSDE are you using? 

Is SDEHOME correctly defined in the environment variables?  (From command prompt, type echo %SDEHOME%)

For the SDE connection file you're using to register your enterprise GDB as a data store, does it use an ArcSDE application service or does it use EZCONNECT?  (If EZCONNECT, is your Oracle instance configured for EZCONNECT?)
0 Kudos
DharmenderGupta
New Contributor
Hi ,

Path of SDE connection file is /Users/lroot/AppData/Roaming/ESRI/Desktop10.2/ArcCatalog/m12yd223.sde
0 Kudos
DharmenderGupta
New Contributor
Hi William,

I have verified that my database and client are of same version 11.2.0.3.0

I have not installed Arc SDE ,I just have Arc GIS Server and desktop.
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
If ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2 and ArcGIS for Server 10.2 are installed on the same server, you will need to make sure that both the 32-bit and 64-bit Oracle clients are also installed on the server.  Is that the case?  The PATH environment variable must have the 64-bit client listed first before the 32-bit client.  Please verify this.
0 Kudos
DharmenderGupta
New Contributor
Hi William,

I have verified that my database and client are of same version 11.2.0.3.0

I have not installed Arc SDE ,I just have Arc GIS Server and desktop.
0 Kudos
DharmenderGupta
New Contributor
HI William,

Yes I have both 32 bit and 64 bit clients installed on the machine where I installed arcgis desktop and server.
and also PATH env variable has 64 bit path first and then 32 bit.
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
So for the "Service" parameter in the Geodatabase Connections properties of your SDE connection file, what is the value you're putting in?  Is it only the TNSNAME or is it sde : oracle11g:TNSNAME or could it be sde : oracle11g:TNSNAME;port_number ?  If your service value has a colon or semi-colon then try to remove it and just use TNSNAME to see if it connects without an error.
DharmenderGupta
New Contributor
HI William,

I don't see service parameter,but I see "Instance" and the value I provided is rws3260455.us.oracle.com:1521/m12yd223.

This is Oracle 11g db host,port and sid.

Do you think there is something wrong in this.
0 Kudos