TRANSFORMATIONS AND PROJECTIONS

Jump to solution
03-23-2017 08:55 AM
ChuckTurlington
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I am using ArcMap 10.3.

I selected the Projections and Transformations under Data Management Tools to change a NAD83 state plane coordinate to the WGS84 coordinate system.  I filled-in the Output coordinate system and then the under the Z Coordinate System tab selected WGS 1984.  Under the Environments tab I selected Z Values "same as input".  I thought ArcMap would have created the new data to a vertical metric unit but the new data still has the US feet value. I noticed a past post states that only ArcMap 10.4 has the vertical projection capability.  If this is the case, what is the "Z Coordinate System" tab for and is it possible to get my vertical elevation values projected from us feet to meters ?

0 Kudos
19 Replies
ChuckTurlington

Dan,

Yes, I believe per the screen shot below, that the Z-Values are true.  If I understand, those are turned on or off using the Environments tab in the Transformation of Project, set as "Same as Input".  Is my understanding correct?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

so that leaves you with the adjust 3dz in my previous link, to see if that works

0 Kudos
ChuckTurlington

Dan,

The example involves python programming which I am not familiar, unfortunately.  I did try to copy and paste the lines of code into the python window but got an error on line 1.  But if the transformation/projection is complete in every other way, it is just a matter of converting the Z units to meters in excel, if I am understanding correctly.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

This link is the one I was referring to.  For the stuff in a table, then just add a numeric column and do the conversion directly (0.3048 -ish meters per foot refer... US foot is only marginally different)

0 Kudos
ChuckTurlington

Dan,

I see what you are saying.  I selected in Arc Toolbox->Data Management Tools->Feature Class->Features->Adjust 3D Z.  I did not see an obvious change but did get a successful response that the adjustment was made.  Since I am working with points in attribute tables, I think you said the above process will not work for tables but I can use the Field Calculator to calculate the metric units in a new or un-used column of the attribute table.  Please confirm if I am now understanding or if there is still some part I may be missing.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yes... 0.3048 meters = 1 foot as in the link

0 Kudos
ChuckTurlington

Yes, thank you, I used Field4*0.3048 which gave the correct results.  I suppose if I had linework that I needed to adjust the Z value for, then the Adjust 3D Z method is the preferred way ?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Give it a try for confirmation.

0 Kudos
ChuckTurlington

Dan,

Yes indeed, thanks for that feedback.  The 3d polyline was adjusted in its Z value using the Adjust 3DZ function.  However, the change was not obvious in ArcMap.  I did not see in the attribute table or the properties of the object in ArcMap, having different units or Z values.  But the Z value change was observable in CAD.  Is it possible to confirm the change in ArcMap ?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the attributes table won't change if the values are represented in the table.  The only things that get updated in a featureclass table is when they are in a geodatabase and that would be shape_area and shape_length.  If it isn't in a geodatabase,then nothing gets changed