Transfer Field Domain Descriptions (Environment setting) - does it work?

Jump to solution
12-15-2014 09:14 PM
InnaNogeste
New Contributor II

We want to export data from a SHP file to a table using the Field Domain Descriptions in the Geoprocessing > Environment settings but it doesn;t seem to work?

I've tried exporting feature classes both insde and outside a File Geodatabase to a table but that doesn't work either.

I've created a table view (Make Table View tool) which retains the descriptions and not the coded value. But when I convert this table view to a table then the descriptions are replaced by coded values.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
YovavZohar1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

Try using the Table to Table tool

and check the "Transfer field domain descriptions" in it's environments settings

This should do the trick.

If I'm not mistaken, there was a bug in this parameter in earlier versions, but in current version it would work.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
YovavZohar1

Hi Inna,

Shapefile does not hold Field Domains - this is possible only in Geodatabase, so it's not very clear what you're trying to do.

Anyway, a good workaround would be to create a table of the Domain values and description and then join it to the Feature Class and then export it.

The Field Domain Descriptions in the Geoprocessing > Environments settings is working in some tools. You can check the Tool help under the Environment paragraph if this parameter is supported. For example, the Table to Table tool.

Good luck

0 Kudos
InnaNogeste
New Contributor II

Hi Yovav,

Thanks for your reply.

I was submitting this query on behalf of a colleague and thought it was from a SHP file which I understand doesnt have the domains. We want to export a feature class inside a GDB to a table which will have the domain descriptions in the fields. Is it possible to do this in 1 step?

The Domain to Table tool isn't suitable for this project as there are several domains in each feature class.

My 2 step process has been to create a table view and then create a table from the table view. The fields with domain subtype descriptions are placed at the very end of the table.

YovavZohar1

Hi,

Try using the Table to Table tool

and check the "Transfer field domain descriptions" in it's environments settings

This should do the trick.

If I'm not mistaken, there was a bug in this parameter in earlier versions, but in current version it would work.