Trails database - too many fields! How to manage?

Jump to solution
10-21-2021 10:18 AM
Labels (3)
MegPeterson
New Contributor III

Good morning, all!

I'm working on a trails database that has many (too many!) fields and am looking for a way to break some of them out, but still be able to symbolize on them. The general issue is this:

Our trails dataset has Surface, Bikes, ADA, Horses, Type, etc fields. Each attribute defines use along different segments of the same trail.

For example, for a  trail from point A to point B, I need to split the line based on a Surface field when the trail changes from paved to dirt. But for a different map I may need to symbolize where bikes are and aren't allowed, splitting the line at a different location. The line is the same, but the splits are different for each field.

MegPeterson_0-1634836630919.png

With literally 20+ fields in the file I don't want to have a million split lines. Any ideas on how to pull some fields out, but join, relate, create topology rules to bring them back in to symbolize, etc?

Thanks for any advice! Meg

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Steve_Salas
Occasional Contributor

Sounds like a great case for linear referencing if you want to put (and maintain!) measure values on your trails  https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/linear-referencing/introduction-to-linear-referen...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steve_Salas
Occasional Contributor

Sounds like a great case for linear referencing if you want to put (and maintain!) measure values on your trails  https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/linear-referencing/introduction-to-linear-referen...

0 Kudos
MegPeterson
New Contributor III

PERFECT! Thank you!

0 Kudos
ScottJones1
Occasional Contributor

Looking for a trails template that I can then use in Network Analysis. Did you build your own?

0 Kudos
MegPeterson
New Contributor III

No, we're only revamping attribute values right now.

0 Kudos