Tracing Errors/ Auto complete polygon errors

01-20-2014 04:44 AM
AlqamaBhutta
New Contributor
I was digitizing soils in feature class. So i had set topology to polygons must not overlap and polygons must not be disjoint. After creating a few polygons manually, I started tracing Polygons, but the trace tool did not copy the lines exactly and some parts of the traced polygons were overlapping while others were disjoint. I tried changing the tolerance but i had no effect. I tried using auto complete polygon but the results were the same. The topology gave me a lot of errors and i had to manually join polygons and edit vertices of polygons.
I was using ArcGIS 10.2
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
LeonardLuz3
Occasional Contributor
You may want to try running the Check/Repair Geometry Tool to see if there are feature geometry errors. I encountered this kind of error regarding topology and repairing the feature geometry errors fixed it. Let me know if the same goes with yours.
0 Kudos
AlqamaBhutta
New Contributor
You may want to try running the Check/Repair Geometry Tool to see if there are feature geometry errors. I encountered this kind of error regarding topology and repairing the feature geometry errors fixed it. Let me know if the same goes with yours.

I have been doing that, but due to the vast number of polygons it is extremely time consuming and bothersome. My main question is shouldnt the trace tool copy the polygon lines exactly. Since mine isnt doing so, what should i change so that it starts working correctly
0 Kudos
LeonardLuz3
Occasional Contributor
Maybe it's not the Trace tool that has a problem. Usually data alignment issues is caused by difference in the map projections and transformations in the data frame.
0 Kudos