Select to view content in your preferred language

topographic wire frame

08-22-2012 12:42 PM
ChadHarrold
New Contributor
I am currently working on a coworkers project and they have a mosaic of topographic maps in a wireframe. I can not get the wireframe to function properly ie(the topos to open to view, they are just a single color). I am using ArcGIS 10.0. I have tried to change everything in layer properties and display to no avail. I have each topo georeferenced and can import them in individually, but I am working with about 200 maps. Suggestions on how to view topos instead of soild color.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Greetings,

Is it a raster catalog you're working with?  What happens if you zoom in to just 1 or 2 footprints?  By default, if more than nine images are in the current display extent, raster catalogs are displayed as a wireframe; otherwise, the actual raster data will be displayed. Using the wireframe speeds up the display of raster catalogs. The default of nine images can be changed in the display properties of your raster catalog or on the Raster tab on the Options dialog box.

-Eric
0 Kudos
ChadHarrold
New Contributor
It is a geodatabase raster catalog. When I zoom in to 1 or 2 tiles the solid color changes hue, but no topo appears. I have changed the wireframe scale and extent, but still only solid color. I have just begun working with ArcGIS 10.0. I am used to rearranging the order of layers in order versions to get displays to work. Is this not an option in 10.0?
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Where is the source data? Is the catalog managed or unmanaged? You indicated this was someone elses project...Do you know if they loaded the catalog with UNC paths or with some mapped drive letter to a network location? Perhaps the data was local to their machine? Typically if you are going to have multiple people accessing a catalog you would load with UNC paths so that anyone who connects would just see the data. If they loaded it from a network location, like Z:\\data\ then you to would have to map that network location with the same drive letter. If you are mapped there but you have Y:\\data\ then the catalog won't find the data.

What happens if you build a small raster catalog of your own since you have access to the data?

You can run Export Raster Catalog Paths tool with the 'Broken' option to see if the paths are indeed broken.

Eric
0 Kudos