summarize the attribute values of lines (in one layer) which have the same start- an endpoint

Jump to solution
06-23-2015 06:38 AM
JohannesUhl1
New Contributor II

Do you know whether it is possible to summarize the attribute values of lines which have the same start- an endpoint?

This is my sitaution: I have ONE layer with lots of buslines between german cities. Now I want ArcGIS to summarize all lines which run between two cities to one line with the summarized frequentation attribut value. An this for all city to city relations.

Example - actual date situation:

Line 1: Stuttgart-München -> 5 times a week

Line 2: Stuttgart-München -> 2 times a week

Line 3: Stutgart-Hamburg -> 3 times a week

Line 4: Stutgart-Hamburg -> 3 times a week

Line 5: Stutgart-Hamburg -> 3 times a week

Result shall be:

one line between Stuttgart and München with attribut value 7 times a week and one line between Stuttgart and Hamburg wit attribut value 9 times a week.

I already tried lots of options, but none worked (including Dissolve).

Thank you very much for ideas,

Johannes

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

You might try using the summary statistics, but use the shape_length field as the case field. It is unlikely that you have the same length for features that are not coincident.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

It would be easier to answer if I could see a screenshot of your table, with the fields and attributes, but assuming you have fields of start/end, and times per week, you could use the summary statistics tool to obtain the sum of times per week, with the start/end as a case field. If the start and end are different fields, you will need to add a new field and calculate it to have both values in it.

0 Kudos
JohannesUhl1
New Contributor II

Thank you very much for your anwer.
I guess your idea doesn´t work, because the table doesn´t include any start- an endpoint information. This information is only included in the shapefile, but not shown in the table. In my opinion it´s not possible to work with the data in the table. Thats why I guessed it´s neccessary to work with the spatial data.ot:

To the screenshot:
"Fahrten_Wo" is the number of times per week. All other columms are not used. I already splitted up the entire buslines to lines between single cities. Thats why you see the line "EU 2060 Mannheim-Kosice" 8 times: its sepated by the intermediate stops (Mannheim-Stuttgart (FID 1), Stuttgart-München (FID 2), and so on). But this names of the intermediate stops are not in the table
screenshot.JPG

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

I'm sorry, I don't really understand what you're saying. Your original question didn't mention a table different from your shapefile. I can't really help you in less I'm clear what you are working with.

0 Kudos
JohannesUhl1
New Contributor II

Sorry, im quiete new in working with GIS.
The table and the shapefile aren´t different. What I just wanted to say is, that there aren´t any position data (like koordinates or citynames) in the table. That´s why I thought your idea can´t work.

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

So what is the field called "Liniename"?

0 Kudos
JohannesUhl1
New Contributor II

The field called "Linienname" ist just the name of the WHOLE line. It consist oft the linename/number itseslf and the very first city and the very last city. Thats why I can´t use this field: I want to know the sum of all runs a week (sum of several companies) between two cities in Germany. Would I just use the cities named in the field "Linienname" I would ignore the connections between the intermediate stops of the lines.

By the way: Thank you very much for your patience!

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

You might try using the summary statistics, but use the shape_length field as the case field. It is unlikely that you have the same length for features that are not coincident.

JohannesUhl1
New Contributor II

Thank you very much for this creative idea. I will try 🙂

0 Kudos
NICOLAPEDDIS
Occasional Contributor II

Sephe, the "Liniename" means-->> "line name". It's like a bus route name