Select to view content in your preferred language

Stretching Mosaic Datasets

04-16-2013 04:30 AM
BruceBurwell
New Contributor II
Hello

I have a set of 12 wind speed grids that I have loaded into a mosaic dataset. My ultimate goal is to create a service where the data is stretched and a colour ramp is applied to the data. The data is 64 bit and ranges between 3 and 15. I have calculated statistics on both the data sets and the mosaic dataset. When I load the data into Arcmap and apply a stretch, it work perfectly. When I try and add a stretch function to the mosaic dataset, it just comes in black. I am assuming I can apply a stretch function followed by a colour ramp function to display the data accordingly. Any advice or workflow would be greatly appreciated.

Regards;
Bruce Burwell
Saudi Aramco
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Bruce,

ArcMap's raster display options will still apply to a mosaic dataset that has the stretch function applied.  For example, go to Customize > ArcMap Options > Raster tab > Raster Layer tab.  The stretch and resampling under 'Enable Custom Rendering Defaults' will be applied to the mosaic dataset.  So, if the stretch here is set to Standard Deviations, and you have a Standard Deviation stretch function applied, the mosaic dataset with be stretched once by the function, and then again by ArcMap.  I'm guessing you have the stretch setting to 'None' within the ArcMap options and this is why you are receiving a black image.

The stretch is best used when publishing a mosaic dataset as an image service.  If the client application cannot display the raster correctly, you can apply the stretch so that the dataset appears as it should.
0 Kudos