Select to view content in your preferred language

sql server users

02-10-2012 04:19 AM
danbecker
Regular Contributor
Ordered a x64 server, pre-installed Win. Server 2008, ArcGIS Server 10 & SQL Server express.

After I connect to the SQL instance via ArcCatalog, I'll create a new SDE gdb and c/p all my current file gdb data into the SDE gdb.

As I understand, this type of connection, direct from ArcCatalog to the SQL instance is a 'direct connection'?

We don't have a windows domain network (AD), and external, (outside the LAN) users will need to connect to the SQL instance and edit a version of the SDE gdb. To do so, would I have to config. the SQL Server to use database auth. as described here??

Setting up a win active directory domain is not an option, the external clients are gov. computers and would never be able to join the domain.

thanks!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
If you have ArcGIS Server I would recommend using Feature Services.  You can implement security on the services described here.

Users can then connect to the services through ArcCatalog using an internet connection (given you are using a Fully Qualified Domain Name), make a local copy of the data, make edits, and then synchronize their edits back to the database.  Here is a link that discusses how to do this.
0 Kudos
danbecker
Regular Contributor
thanks Jake, that makes sense, but I have a few more clarification q's:

1. setup 2 folders inside server root, folderA-view role, folderB-edit role
2. publish a map service into folderA, no feature access
3. put the same map service into folderB, but enable feature access

All users in edit role will be able to make local copy of feature data, edit it, then synchronize changes with server?

Data that I add to the map, prior to publishing...does it need to be data from an SDE gdb?
If so, I assume the sql-server instance would not necessarily need to be open to the internet for direct-editing as described in my 1st post?

thanks!!
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
1.  All users in edit role will be able to make local copy of feature data, edit it, then synchronize changes with server?

Yes, if the 'edit role' is applied to Folder B, any user that is a part of this role will be able to edit the data by making a local copy.

2.  Data that I add to the map, prior to publishing...does it need to be data from an SDE gdb?

Data needs to be from a SDE gdb if you want to apply the 'Feature Access' capability.

3.  I assume the sql-server instance would not necessarily need to be open to the internet for direct-editing as described in my 1st post?

The SQL Server instance will not need to be open to the internet.
0 Kudos