Select to view content in your preferred language

SQL Server 2008 Client

10-16-2013 08:32 AM
BrandonSchleicher
Deactivated User
Hello, I'm trying to connect to my school's SQL Server to access a database using ArcGIS 10.1. After searching the forums, I noticed this software package no longer contains the SQL Server 2008 Client. I downloaded and installed the the native client from microsoft; however, I am still receiving an error message stating "Failure to access the DBMS server." I know I have the correct instance and authentication because I successfully connected using a campus computer.

Since I only have a one year student license, I do not have access to the native client download via the ESRI Customer Care Portal. Is there a way that I can verify that the native client I already installed has been correctly applied to ArcGIS?

ps I tried turning it off and back on again. Didn't work 🙂

Shout out from Wisconsin
Thank you for your help,
       Brandon
0 Kudos
2 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
The SQL-Server client is applied to the host computer, not to Esri software.  You should be
able to do some sort of connectivity check without ArcGIS in the mix (the native client is
available directly from Microsoft).

It's possible the university IT staff has blocked connections with a firewall, in which case
you'd need VPN linkage to reach their internal network.

- V
0 Kudos
BrandonSchleicher
Deactivated User
The SQL-Server client is applied to the host computer, not to Esri software.  You should be
able to do some sort of connectivity check without ArcGIS in the mix (the native client is
available directly from Microsoft).

It's possible the university IT staff has blocked connections with a firewall, in which case
you'd need VPN linkage to reach their internal network.

- V

Thank you for the reply. I will be contacting my geospatial facilitator in regards to the possible firewall restriction.
0 Kudos