SQL Data Connection

Jump to solution
05-01-2017 03:05 PM
GISDepartment9
New Contributor III

I have access to an SQL database and I have made a connection to the data tables. When I drag the table into my toc the table pops and I can join the table to a set of features. That is perfect to have real time data.

Now, if I leave the table in the map, is the table dynamic back to the SQL database. Meaning if someone edits the table while its in my map will the table change?

My thought is I will have to create a new join to update my joined features but I am hoping the data table will have  a live connection back to the database. Is this just wishful thinking?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

ArcMap Joins are dynamic meaning when you close and reopen the *.mxd, the relationship is current.  Same if you export the ArcMap Join (FC/Table) to a *.lyr file.  When you add the *.lyr file to ArcMap, it refreshes the relationship.  If you're using ArcMap while the Table is being edited elsewhere, you may need to refresh the database connection to see the latest data.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

ArcMap Joins are dynamic meaning when you close and reopen the *.mxd, the relationship is current.  Same if you export the ArcMap Join (FC/Table) to a *.lyr file.  When you add the *.lyr file to ArcMap, it refreshes the relationship.  If you're using ArcMap while the Table is being edited elsewhere, you may need to refresh the database connection to see the latest data.