Split line at Intersection

Jump to solution
01-30-2020 02:56 PM
DanSeidensticker
Occasional Contributor

These seems simple, and thought I have done it before.

Using the manual editing tools in ArcMap Advanced 10.6.1. How do I split a single line where it intersects a line from a different layer.  The Line Intersection Tool only works when both intersecting lines are in same layer that is being edited. 

In the image, the purple lines are set to editing. The grey base map lines are in a different layer/file. How do I split the purple line at the one intersection of the grey line circled in red?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

The line intersection tool only works with layers in the same workspace being edited as you discovered.

In this case you could use the regular split tool with intersection snapping turned on to split the purple line at the intersection of the gray.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure. Would probably merge into one FC, planarise, then export them out again. Would work but likely a better way!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

The line intersection tool only works with layers in the same workspace being edited as you discovered.

In this case you could use the regular split tool with intersection snapping turned on to split the purple line at the intersection of the gray.

DanSeidensticker
Occasional Contributor

Thanks!  There it is. Forgot it was an option in the Snapping Toolbar.

0 Kudos