Spatial variation of ndvi

Jump to solution
01-10-2015 02:06 PM
RuttiaKatiyi
New Contributor

Dear Sir,

I would like to come up with spatial variation of ndvi within a specific area. I annual average ndvi of 17 years from 1998 to 2014. how can I go about it. attached is an example of what I would like to come with

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

When you calculate the NDVI (Normalized Difference Vegetation Index) using visible and near infrared information obtained by remote sensing you have a "spatial variation" since the NDVI. See also: Normalized Difference Vegetation Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What does the included image represent? Is that a single year or the result of combining several years? Are you trying to seek the range of values for each pixel in the time series?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
XanderBakker

When you calculate the NDVI (Normalized Difference Vegetation Index) using visible and near infrared information obtained by remote sensing you have a "spatial variation" since the NDVI. See also: Normalized Difference Vegetation Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What does the included image represent? Is that a single year or the result of combining several years? Are you trying to seek the range of values for each pixel in the time series?

0 Kudos
RuttiaKatiyi
New Contributor

I have 17 images of NDVI data of 17 years (1998-2014), yes I would like to find the range of values for each pixel in the time series.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

For that purpose you can use Cell Statistics to determine the range of a series of rasters (and min, max, etc): See: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

0 Kudos
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III

From time-serial images (1998 – 2014), you can define the ‘spatial variation’, in addition to ‘temporal variation’

However, advisable to use other methods like Intervention Analysis (IA)…

0 Kudos
RuttiaKatiyi
New Contributor

Iam using ArcGIS 9.3, how can I go about it, if possible may you give me steps to follow

0 Kudos
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III

First of all, your intention will be a research study, rather that a workflow from ArcGIS. Please refer to  'Object-oriented' Change Detection in Operation

Secondly, nice to read the paper at  Variations in northern vegetation activity inferred from satellite data of vegetation index during 1... Pay attention to approaches in this study

0 Kudos