Spatial reference does not match data frame

Jump to solution
04-03-2016 10:43 PM
RobertStevens
Occasional Contributor III

Can someone answer this question. It is not peculiar to any version of Arcmap desktop: I have seen it in 10.0, 10.1,10.2,10.3 and 10.4.

When I "start editing" from the editor toolbar I get a dialogue box asking which layer or workspace I wish to edit.

After I choose one I get another warning dialogue box which lists all (well, all, as far as I can tell) the layers in the frame and where each one has a message "Spatial reference does not match data frame". There are many layers in my frames because I am using Business Analyst basemaps which have multiple datasets which display at different scale values.

Why do I get this message? Both the data frame and the layers are using the same geographic coordinate system (WGS_84), although the former is projecting the data using the World Mercator projection.

The warnings don't prevent my being able to edit the data: I am only editing fields which are not geographic. But the message seems to imply that if I were digitizing new features that I would be met with failure.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RobertStevens
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Neil

No, I am using desktop, just on a local machine.

The basemap that ships with Business Analyst displays a map of the whole world, so I suppose

that is why it uses Web Mercator. But an important, perhaps the most important, feature of

BA is that it intended for use by non-GIS professionals (like myself), and hence people who

don't know all the subtleties of projections etc.

There is some history here. BA 10.0 used to use a special projection named, not surprisingly,

"Business Analyst Projection". This projection was described as dynamic. By that was meant

that the details of the projection changed according to the latitude and longitude of the area

of interest, and the bounding rectangle. (Perhaps some guru from ESRI could comment).

It seems that what you are telling me is this. That Web Mercator is essentially never used

as a projection of small areas, distant from the equator. And that, regardless of the

projection used in the basemap as shipped, that it implied that the user would choose

a different projection, better adapted to his geographic area of interest. Im my case

I suppose that would likely be "NAD_1983_HARN_StatePlane_Oregon_North_FIPS_3601",

and that to use Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere would give a terribly distorted map.

But why doesn't a product like BA make this more explicit for the business user?

Another thing I have never understood about ArcMap is that, if the frame and the

dataset use coordinated base of different geographic datums, it asks the user

for the appropriate transformation to use. Why?? Surely the software itself

is best equipped to answer that question. How am I, the ignorant business user,

supposed to know what the answer to that question is?

Thx for your continuing help.

Rob Stevens

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

On the subject of datum transformations...

If you don't know about projections, then transformations are another whole murky swamp.

The datum, in my way of thinking, defines the location of the origin of the coordinate system relative to a position of the earths surface. We used to have a whole bunch of "classical" datums, those whose primary point is a physical beacon build by geodesists / surveyors in the 18th century. These tie a ellipsoidal model (a flattened sphere) to that point with a known orientation. Everything is measured from that.

Then along came GPS. The WGS84 datum is an ECEF (earth centered, earth fixed). Its origin point is the gravitational centre of the planet.

A transformation is a numerical method to alter the coordinates from one datum to another.

In NAm you have a enormously detailed set of various transformations from your old classical datum (NAD27) to your more modern one (NAD83, which is almost but not quite, the same as WGS84).

The GIS cannot make that choice for you.

But, mostly these days, you wouldn't have to worry about it. Nearly all of your data will already be based upon NAD83 / WGS84 anyway. So no transformation is needed to get the data to align correctly.

0 Kudos