I open another thread, as the topic of previous one was about fishnet, which has now become obsolete - thanks again for the help.
Background: I displayed xy-data of of data on sedimentary thickness for the world. I used Grid Index Features to turn the point data into a grid. However, the grid cells do not contain the value of sedimentary thickness anymore. So I want to merge the original point data - which has the info I need - with the newly created grid cells. For some reason ArcGIS refuses to spatially merge the grid with the points. However, it CAN merge the point data with the grid cell. That is until recently. For some reason now it creates just one observation. I do not know why. I have not changed anything. There was an update for ArcGIS, since then ArcGIS behaves strangely; maybe the update broke spatial join.
I am using ArcGIS Pro. As I created the grid data from the point data the coordinates systems should be the same.
If you like you can have a look, I attach the data below.
I hope you can help me once more.
The coordinates are geographic and you are at the northpole-ish (89.5). If no projection was used and the data are in a geographic coordinate system, then the values aren't appearing properly? And you are sure that there are an equivalent number of cells for the spatial join to proceed?
I am not quite sure if I understand correctly. The coordinates cover the entire world; they range from -179.5 to 179.5 longitude and from -89.5 to 89.5 latitude.
There SHOULD be the same amount of points and grid cells. After all, I created the grid with the points. However, since the update got installed, there are blank parts for the points in certain regions of the world; cells are shown, but no points. These blank parts have definitely not been there before the update. I thought it was just a bug - or a way to save memory.
Since the update, when I click on the point data to join with the cells (the other way around has never worked), I get this result:
Object ID: 1
It is possible that you didn't specify the analysis extent properly but used the extent of the input points to define it which means that the perimeter values would have been interpreted as the extent rather than -180 to 180 and -90 to 90. Make sure you explicitly set your analysis Environments within tools whether using ArcMap or Pro. They are both use the Environments settings, with arcmaps being tucked in the bottom right button ... in Pro, the Environments is rightly placed at the top of the dialog in a tab. Use/check it always before trying to use the comboboxes.
Yes, that was it. Thanks a lot for this advice! Now it does something again.
Unfortunately, I still cannot go on. I thought I could merge this with the raster by using OID. Unfortunately, the OIDs refer to different points, and no other variable is available in both sets.
I really don't understand this: All I want to do is merge my oil fields (point data) with my sedimentary data (point data but refers to cells). But I can't even have the point data displayed in a cell. I just tried the Point to Raster approach; it gives me a nice immage, but it is just that - an image. There is no attribute table and I cannot get the data into a fishnet.
And when I try to merge point data with grid data by right clicking on the grid data and selecting spatial join, all I get is this error message:
Error executing function.
Invalid SQL syntax[near "IN": syntax error]
Failed to execute (SpatialJoin).
My task seems like a fairly standard procedure; how can this be so difficult?
when creating a fishnet, you can create the centroids as well.. perhaps a spatial join of the points will then allow you to attribute join the resultant back to the polygons. Alternately, just intersect the points with the polygons to bring the attributes of the polygon layer over. There are variety of ways to do this in the overlay toolset or using spatial joins with or without attribute joins.
Thank you for your continued support, and sorry for ranting earlier.
I managed to get from raster to polygon with the Raster to Polygon tool. Intersect did the trick after forcing OIDs into the data with Copy Features. I checked it and apparently it merged them correctly. You have my gratitude!
I just realised that now that I have to merge polygon data with countries, but I will wait with that until tomorrow; it's already after 7pm here. Hopefully this time it will be easier.
Have a great day!