Some ghost tables in ArcSDE (Oracle)

11-07-2013 05:02 AM
StéphaneHenriod
New Contributor II
Hello

I have a geodatabase in Oracle, with many tables in many schemas. My problem is that some tables (and even some schemas) have been deleted in Oracle, but still appear in ArcGIS. Obviously, no data can be displayed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28926[/ATTACH]

Deleting those tables is not possible:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28927[/ATTACH]

I assume that there must be some cached info somewhere (in an Oracle table?). Has anyone been facing such a problem and do you have any idea how I can solve it?

Thanks in advance

Stéphane

PS: ArcGIS 10.1 & Oracle 11.2
0 Kudos
11 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mboeringa2010

This is quite annoying cause I even have the opposite case now: a table that exists in Oracle (even has a shape column) but that is no longer displayed in ArcGIS... The problem probably arose while I had to delete and re-create this table a few times (sometimes within Oracle, sometimes within ArcGIS). If I rename this table, it appears in ArcGIS. But as soon as I give it its real name back, it disappears... My assumption is that there must be a record in the ArcSDE schema saying that this table is invalid or something...

Any idea?

This is bad practice, you shouldn't delete tables registered with your geodatabase using Oracle tools. Use ArcGIS to delete datasets in any case where data is registered with the geodatabase, as ArcGIS will automatically handle the removal of metadata records in the geodatabase system tables in the ArcSDE Repository.

It really sounds you have a host of issues in your geodatabase. It may be better to start with a clean bill, by creating a new database, and than copy & paste any good datasets from the corrupted database to the new one. This will leave the junk in the old database, which you can delete afterwards.

Of course, if it is a large database with many layers, users and permission settings, this may not be an easy solution, in which case you may need to contact ESRI Tech Support to clean out your database and restore ArcSDE (Geodatabase) Repository integrity.
0 Kudos
StéphaneHenriod
New Contributor II
Yes, I now realize this isn't exactly good practices! Learning (and suffering) by doing 🙂

Recreating a DB is also not an option... I will thus contact ESRI support and see whether they can help at this point.

Thanks a lot!
0 Kudos