Snap to Raster Problems

02-08-2012 11:30 AM
JonathanFleming
New Contributor III
Hopefully I'm missing something simple here.  I'm trying to convert points to raster (The output raster value is count of points in each cell) and get this to snap to a DEM raster.  The cell size on both raster datasets (the DEM and the new point count raster) is 30m.  Both share the same projected coordinate system and the data frame is also set to that pcs (i.e., no on the fly projection). 

I have environmental settings for 'snap to:' set to the DEM raster but after processing, they do not snap together (note:  I've tried setting this "globally" and within the tool dialog itself).  I've also tried this with other raster datasets using various tools (e.g., resample) for other objectives.  Bottom line is that snap to raster just doesn't seem to work.  Is it a bug or am I doing something goofy?  I've attached an image of the result.

Running ArcGIS v.10 SP3 (ArcInfo license), Windows 7 64bit machine.

Thanks,

--JF
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JieZhang
Esri Contributor
Hi JF,

Would you mind telling us which processing (i.e. gp tool) you used? I would suggest a workflow like this:

1. Convert the points to a raster dataset
2. Use "Copy Raster" tool to make a copy of the raster dataset created in step 1, and make sure you use the environment setting "snap raster" under Processing Extent tab

Thanks
Jie
0 Kudos
GerickeCook
New Contributor III
I'm having the same issue with snapping rasters, and the copy raster tool doesn't work for me. So it's not just you.  I posted my own issue in a separate thread.

**UPDATED**
I finally have the solution, with help from Tech Support. Here is the link to the solution thread: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/50808-Another-Snap-to-Raster-problem
0 Kudos