Select to view content in your preferred language

Shapefile/Table Join in ModelBuilder Road Block

Jump to solution
05-01-2013 05:34 AM
melaniewilliams
Deactivated User
I am trying to join (doesn't have to be a join if there is something better) a shapefile to a .dbf table which is a one-to-one relationship.  This will need to be repeated several times so I a trying to do this in ModelBuilder.  Once this join is made, I will then need to add fields and do further calculations on the data in the attribute table.  Outside of MobelBuilder, I would make the join then save it as a new shapefile. 

I have not figured out how to do this within ModelBuilder (since I can't seem to save the join as a new shapefile).  The product from the join of the .dbf and the shapefile keeps producing an error when I try to connect it to another tool like "Add Field".  "The value cannot be a joined table."  I tried the "Feature Class to Shapefile" tool but that product is the folder where the file is stored and can't be connected to anything else either.  Tried a few other things that also failed. 

Any advice on what tools to look into using instead or how to work around this road block? 

Thanks!
Mel
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I am trying to join (doesn't have to be a join if there is something better) a shapefile to a .dbf table which is a one-to-one relationship.  This will need to be repeated several times so I a trying to do this in ModelBuilder.  Once this join is made, I will then need to add fields and do further calculations on the data in the attribute table.  Outside of MobelBuilder, I would make the join then save it as a new shapefile. 

I have not figured out how to do this within ModelBuilder (since I can't seem to save the join as a new shapefile).  The product from the join of the .dbf and the shapefile keeps producing an error when I try to connect it to another tool like "Add Field".  "The value cannot be a joined table."  I tried the "Feature Class to Shapefile" tool but that product is the folder where the file is stored and can't be connected to anything else either.  Tried a few other things that also failed. 

Any advice on what tools to look into using instead or how to work around this road block? 

Thanks!
Mel

This response is an official WAG (wild a$$ guess) but sounds like you can't add a field to a table that's already participating in join.  Here's the wag: Can you add those fields prior to the join and then make the calculations after the join?

As the saying goes: Wag more.  Bark less....
That should just about do it....

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Thanks!
Mel

This response is an official WAG (wild a$$ guess) but sounds like you can't add a field to a table that's already participating in join.  Here's the wag: Can you add those fields prior to the join and then make the calculations after the join?

As the saying goes: Wag more.  Bark less....
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Frequent Contributor
Hi Mel,

You would need to use a combination of the Make Feature Layer tool, the Add Join Tool, and the Feature Class to Feature Class tool which can output a shapefile. Take a look at the attached model.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Honored Contributor
Do you have to do it in Model Builder.  If not you are over working the project.

Simply perform a join in the table of contents between the two and then export the joined shapefile to a new feature class

Thanks!
Mel
0 Kudos