Section 508c compliance for making maps

03-13-2017 08:54 AM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Does anyone out there point me of a good app that can I download to my computer to use "Color" blindness or visually impaired people ( Section508.gov | GSA Government-wide Section 508 Accessibility Program ) .

I have Color Oracle here on my computer but I would like to see if there are any newer ones or some suggest from you ?  It can be online, app, or anything.

If you have a suggest a website that has GIS map and Section 508c,

I have a map that need some fixing..

Thank you !

0 Kudos
4 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

This map be helpful: ColorBrewer: Color Advice for Maps  They have some colorblind safe color ramps. Not sure about section 508c.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III

Try searching for "Daltonize." These tools let you see what your image would look like to someone with red-green or other color blindness. It is not just about color choices or ramps, it is about contrast and what colors abut each other. The tools might be able to directly fix a JPEG, but they don't work with ArcMAP.

508c compliance is way more subtle and complex than an app. (You could say that about so many things.) I took a very time consuming 1-unit class in Web compliance several years ago. There are lots of things to look at, but a compliant site is better in many ways, such as being easier to find and to search and to maintain. 

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Thank you.

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

This site is really good to have if you must to do Section 508c. You can either drag and drop to this site and choose one of the view. It is really charming to use..

This site is Colblindor.

Coblis — Color Blindness Simulator | Colblindor