Script to automatically copy local GDB to ArcSDE

09-29-2011 12:44 PM
ScottBodien
New Contributor
Hello, I am looking for a script or help in automating the process of daily copying over a file GDB on my local C drive to a ArcSDE server in our organization.  Am using 10.

Thanks!
Scott
0 Kudos
11 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Scott,

Can you elaborate a little more on what you will be copying (i.e. tables, feature classes, etc)?  What is the purpose of a daily copy from your FGD to SDE?  Is it to update the SDE feature classes with edits that were created in the FGD?  If so, have you considered geodatabase replication?  This will allow you to synchronize changes from the FGD to SDE with a click of a button.
0 Kudos
afafabbas
New Contributor

Hi Jake,

I'm trying to import FGDB to ArcSDE using ArcCatalog. FGD has 41 feature classes and tables. ArcCatalog keeps crashing. I tried normal copy and paste, it didn't work either. The FGDB has an xml associated with it. I'm working on  ArcGIS V 10.2. Any idea how to get the FGDB imported/copied to ArcSDE smoothly?

Thanks,

Afaf

0 Kudos
GeoffreyWest
Occasional Contributor III

Export/Import XML Workspace document should be a good solution.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Are you trying to copy all the 41 feature classes together and observing the crash? Did you try copying a subset of the data and check if that works or not.

Does it crash only while copying data to the sde gdb or to any geodatabase?

0 Kudos
afafabbas
New Contributor

Yes I’m trying to copy the whole GDB that contains 41 feature class and tables . It copied some of them (about 6 feature classes) then crashed. When I copy them one by one, first it takes ages to copy and second and most important, it didn’t recognizes me as a GDB administrator, therefore I can’t register it versioned or create attachments which required for feature class editing on webmap.

Thanks ,

Afaf

0 Kudos

Is your requirement to wholesale replace the entire feature classes in SDE, or import modified records?  Also, what prevents you from editing in SDE instead of on your C drive?

0 Kudos
afafabbas
New Contributor

The GDB comes from client. It’s been designed with domains and subtypes already, I just need to import them to ArcSDE, add them to a webmap, so the client can edit the data through the webmap (multiuser editing)

Thanks,

Afaf

0 Kudos

Sounds like a geodatabase check-out replica might work.  It is quick and easy once you're accustomed to the workflow, and is designed for the exact purpose you describe.  This allows you to communicate only the deltas, which will drastically reduce your "copy" time.  Here's a link: ArcGIS Desktop

0 Kudos
afafabbas
New Contributor

Thanks Marianne, I’ve used replica once before, so I’m new to using Replica. I followed the instruction in the help link, ‘Creating a Check- out Replica’, all codes in the Distributed Geodatabase toolbar are not active except the ‘Extract Data’ for some reason ☹

Thanks,

Afaf

0 Kudos