saving latitude & longitude data in excel sheet

03-03-2015 02:27 AM
MONIKAKARANJKAR
New Contributor

Hi,

I need to save the latitude and longitude data in excel sheet. The GPS device will be in moving car. So, in excel sheet, the position needs to be saved along with time.

Thanks in advance

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The GeoNet Help space is meant for Help on using GeoNet, not for help on ArcGIS. You can better move your question to Managing Data to get more responses. To move content, you can read: Moving Content

Please be more specific and provide more details:

• How are the GPS positions stored (what format)?
  • What type of device do you have (and what type of OS)?
  • Should the position be stored directly as it is captured buy the GPS device?
  • Are you looking for a conversion of the captured locations and time to Excel or are you looking for an application that reads the GPS position and stores it in a Excel file?
MONIKAKARANJKAR
New Contributor

GPS positions are stored in DD format.

We are using SxBlue II GNSS unit and we are using ARCPAD ARCGIS 10.2 on

windows 7 platform.

The GPS unit will be kept in moving car. We want to store latitude and

longitude values directly in excel sheet or text file with the time stamp.

It can take time from computer. So that we can track location later.

We are just looking for application that reads the GPS position and stores

it in excel file.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Thanks for the additional explanation. I do wonder what you want to do with the Excel of Text file where the current location and time is being appended. I suppose you want to process it afterwards, not in the car when the file is being written, right? (Otherwise you would probably have to avoid locks on the file). If so, what do you want to do with the information?. It has been years that I have used ArcPad, but I believe it has the possibility to track the users location to a line or point featureclass.

Please move you content to a different place. The GeoNet Help space is meant for Help on using GeoNet, not for help on ArcGIS. You can better move your question to Managing Data to get more responses. To move content, you can read:Moving Content

0 Kudos
MONIKAKARANJKAR
New Contributor

Thank you for prompt reply. GPS tracking is just a part of big project.

That is why, we want to save data somewhere. And time needs to be appended

so as to synchronize this GPS data with other programs output. It will be

very easy to process data if saved in tabular format. In some thread, I

read ArcPad Studio can be used for customization. Can I use it to store

data in excel sheet ?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

If I look at this very, very, very old Help page of ArcPad 8, ArcPad User Guide it shows that the tracklog stores the location and data time and a ZM Point shapefile. You can convert using ArcGIS for Desktop to for instance an Excel worksheet.

0 Kudos