Saving a geometric model as a feature or shapefile

04-23-2015 06:22 AM
MarlenaGötza
New Contributor II

Hello

I created a geometric network in the modelbuilder (see picture "modelbuilder") and do not know how to save the selected network (see picture "save network") know because "export"->"data" does not work in model builder? The output "geometrisches_netzwerk" of the submodel "X_IV_NetworkWithGeometricNetwork" is a feature dataset. With usind "select data" I cannot select the selected line and "copy" or "copy feature" does not work as well. Can anyone help me?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Hi Marlena, try using Select Layer By Attribute, and then Copy Features. This help files for the first shows them both used in a script at the bottom: Select Layer by Attribute

MarlenaGötza
New Contributor II

This does not work because the output "geometrisches_netzwerk" is a group layer. How can I deal with this. I have to extract one file out of the group layer

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

What do you mean by one file? Do you mean one line, or something else? Instead of the geometric network as your input, use the individual line feature class for the tool in your model.

MarlenaGötza
New Contributor II

My geometric network is saved as a group layer so the output data format in my model is a group layer (the green "geometric network" in the model). In this group layer the calculated network (the blue line in the picture) is selected. Now I want to save this blue selected line as a shapefile or something else and this is what does not work. Manually I can do this with "Export ->Data". In the model I have to want extract one of the layer files out the geometric network group layer (which consists of three layer files) so that I can save the selected features  (the blue line) for example with "copy features".

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

So what happens when you drag the "copy features" tool into your model and connect the geometric network as an input?

MarlenaGötza
New Contributor II

Then I get an error that the tool cannot deal with group layers

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Can you use the network dataset as an input instead? The help file says that this can by used by Select Data, and then use Make Feature Layer, before Copy Features.

MarlenaGötza
New Contributor II

Thanks for your help. Now it works

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Oh great! I'm glad that fixed it. Do you mind marking your question as answered, Marlena? It will help others find the answer if they have the same problem in the future. Thanks!

0 Kudos