Same version mxd one user can open the other can't

05-16-2019 04:44 PM
JessStrauss
New Contributor II

User A created an mxd and saved it. They are able to open it on any computer (all running the same version - this has been checked). There are a few mxds where this has occurred.

User B cannot open the mxd (using the same computers as User A) and gets the following: "opening the selected arcmap document failed" error msg. MXD doctor results in "error reading maps from map document. No map document parts can be recovered". A new install has not fixed the issue. Nor has renaming ESRI to ESRIold or Normal.mxt to Normal_old.mxt.

I'm assuming it's something to do with his profile. I had originally thought he was using a newer version but this is definitely not the case when I double checked yesterday. I have a copy of his ESRI profile for comparison purposes but am not sure what makes his special.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

4 Replies
JessStrauss
New Contributor II

Further...

Using ArcCatalog to attempt to preview the file results in "ArcGIS for desktop has encountered a serious application error and is unable to continue". No such error on any mxds I can open.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Windows, Control Panel... Add/Remove Programs... try the Repair option.  

When you did a "new install", it is important that all vestiges of anything Arc*** be removed, which would include 3rd party products etc.

If the project can be read on multiple machines and the user can read it on other machines, then it is machine specific and not a project or user problem.

And on a final note... don't do the double-clicky thing to open the project from File explorer... load the project through the File menu in Arc

0 Kudos
JessStrauss
New Contributor II

I'll see if I can get help with the repair option. I will probably need admin rights for this seeing as its a work computer and locked down.

I should have been more specific. When I said new install...it was on a totally new computer with no previous Arc*** installations on it.

I can't read the project on any machine. User A can read it on any machine running ArcMap. So weird!

I have tried opening the mxd every conceivable way. So far nothing works.

0 Kudos
JessStrauss
New Contributor II

Sorry - keep thinking of new info to add.

Any mxds I create I can open just fine. User A can open all mine and his. I just can't open his.

0 Kudos