Reverse Geocode Geoprocessing Tool

03-09-2011 10:28 AM
NicholasGross
Occasional Contributor II
I am using ArcGIS Desktop 10 SP1 and trying to reverse geocode some tornado sirens. The locator that I want to use is through a published service (by a third party) but I can't figure out how to enter this locator into the "input address locator" field in the "Reverse Geocode" tool's dialog. Whenever I try to browse to it through my "GIS Servers" folder or copy and paste in the web address, I get an error stating that the locator doesn't exist or is not supported. I know this not to be the case because I can connect to it and search for addresses just fine outside of this toolbox tool.

I don't do a lot of geocoding, and I have very little experience working with ArcGIS Server services, so I may definitely be doing something wrong, but I really don't know what. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I keep hearing all these great things about ArcGis 10.x and geocoding.  Gotta give it a try some time...

All serious aside, unless things have radically changed in 10.x from 9.3.x and earlier, you should be able to access the locator from ArcCatalog or ArcMap.  Take a look at this link for ArcCatalog connections.  It's pretty straight forward.

In the good old days of ArcMap 9.3 (which is where I live, work and play) one simply goes to the Tools menu, and selects Geocoding/Address Locator Manager.  Then use the add button to navigate to the connection you've already set up in ArcCatalog. See attached image.

Hope this helps.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
NicholasGross
I keep hearing all these great things about ArcGis 10.x and geocoding.  Gotta give it a try some time...

All serious aside, unless things have radically changed in 10.x from 9.3.x and earlier, you should be able to access the locator from ArcCatalog or ArcMap.  Take a look at this link for ArcCatalog connections.  It's pretty straight forward.

In the good old days of ArcMap 9.3 (which is where I live, work and play) one simply goes to the Tools menu, and selects Geocoding/Address Locator Manager.  Then use the add button to navigate to the connection you've already set up in ArcCatalog. See attached image.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response Joe, I'm glad to see I'm doing at least that much right. I do actually already have the connection working and I can search for addresses and geocode just fine with the published address locator. It's just the 'Reverse Geocode' tool in ArcToolbox that is giving me issues. There is a field in that tool to select which locator you want to use to reverse geocode from, but I can't get it to allow me to enter anything but local locators. I don't know if I'm entering the path incorrectly (although it's not even working when I browse to it) or what the deal is. Maybe it just isn't compatible with online locators...but that would seem kind of strange since you can use them everywhere else in ArcMap.
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Well, I just added a published locator service to a 9.3 ArcMap session using the geocoding tool bar and everything works.  Don't know why it doesn't work for you.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
NicholasGross
Well, I just added a published locator service to a 9.3 ArcMap session using the geocoding tool bar and everything works.  Don't know why it doesn't work for you.

Right, that works for me too. I'm talking specifically about the 'Reverse Geocode' geoprocessing tool in ArcToolbox. That's what I'm really having a problem with. Sorry for the confusion, sometimes it's hard to make the issue clear through forum posts, but thanks for responding!
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
You have no problem reverse geocoding through ArcMap but you get an error when you add the locator to the "Reverse Geocode" tool?  Can you try to connect to ArcGIS Online?

The link below has information on how to add the locator to ArcMap.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=8b980709e0534bb39784dc42f550d554

Brad
0 Kudos
NicholasGross
You have no problem reverse geocoding through ArcMap but you get an error when you add the locator to the "Reverse Geocode" tool?  Can you try to connect to ArcGIS Online?

The link below has information on how to add the locator to ArcMap.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=8b980709e0534bb39784dc42f550d554

Brad

That's correct. I was able to use the locator at the link you provided in ArcMap and with the Reverse Geocode tool with no problems.

So, I tried the same procedure in the Reverse Geocode tool with the locator published by our county GIS office and I got "ERROR 000732: Input address locator does not exist or is not supported." But, just like before, I can add this county locator to my Address Locator Manager in ArcMap with no problems, and use it with the Geocode Toolbar to search for addresses.
0 Kudos
PhillipeWernette1
New Contributor II
That's correct. I was able to use the locator at the link you provided in ArcMap and with the Reverse Geocode tool with no problems.

So, I tried the same procedure in the Reverse Geocode tool with the locator published by our county GIS office and I got "ERROR 000732: Input address locator does not exist or is not supported." But, just like before, I can add this county locator to my Address Locator Manager in ArcMap with no problems, and use it with the Geocode Toolbar to search for addresses.

I am having a similar issue trying to reverse geocode some addresses using the Address Locator I just created. I have tried multiple ways of creating the Address Locator with varying options but with no luck. Just wondering about other possible reasons the reverse geocoding might be failing. No error messages are returned, in fact, nothing is returned when the freshly created locator is used. Ideas?
0 Kudos