Resizing in only one dimension

Jump to solution
08-23-2019 02:06 PM
MasihAkhbari
New Contributor

Hello,

I am going to resize a shape file in only one dimension in ArcMap 10.5.1 and learned that it could be done using the Representation tool. However, when I start editing the shape file and select its features, all options under the Representation tool are grayed out (as shown below). I was wondering if there is any other way to resize in one dimension or how I could enable Representation tool options?

I would greatly appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Masih‌,

You need to perform a spatial adjustment or re-project the digitized data to the correct coordinate system.  Take a look at About spatial adjustment—Help | ArcGIS Desktop or Project—Help | ArcGIS Desktop accordingly. Spatial adjustment tool shifts the feature data using control points between the two systems.  The project tool would be used to change the digitized data from one coordinate system (the physical map) to another (your needed coordinate system).  I would try and re-project first, if you know the map coordinate system.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Masih, 

If I remember correctly, the data for the representation tool must be contained in a geodatabase and will not work on shapefiles. Take a look at A quick tour of representations—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

The tools may be disabled if one of the follow is true.

• You are in an edit session.
  • You are unable to obtain a schema lock. Ensure that the layer is not currently being accessed by ArcCatalog or by another ArcMap session.
  • The layer is currently symbolized with a feature class representation.
  • The layer's data source is not a point, line, or polygon feature class in a geodatabase. Shapefiles, coverages, annotation feature classes, and dimension feature classes cannot support feature class representations.
  • The layer is currently symbolized with the proportional symbol, the quantity by category, or one of the chart symbol categories.
  • The layer's data source resides in a geodatabase that has not yet been upgraded to the current release.
  • You are using ArcGIS Desktop Basic. An ArcGIS Desktop Standard or Desktop Advanced license is required to create representations.
0 Kudos
MasihAkhbari
New Contributor

Thank you Lance for the information! So there is no way to resize a shapefile in one dimension then?

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Masih‌,

Can you please clarify what you meant by "resize a shapefile"? Are you in reference to the georeferencing of the entire shapefile or scaling the individual features in the shapefile?

0 Kudos
MasihAkhbari
New Contributor

Lance,

I have a shapefile that has been digitized based on a map with a wrong georeference. Now, the sizing of the shapefile on the North-South dimension is correct, but it is stretched on the East-West dimension. I was wondering if I could resize/decrease its length only on the East-West dimension? 

0 Kudos
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

Masih‌,

You need to perform a spatial adjustment or re-project the digitized data to the correct coordinate system.  Take a look at About spatial adjustment—Help | ArcGIS Desktop or Project—Help | ArcGIS Desktop accordingly. Spatial adjustment tool shifts the feature data using control points between the two systems.  The project tool would be used to change the digitized data from one coordinate system (the physical map) to another (your needed coordinate system).  I would try and re-project first, if you know the map coordinate system.

MasihAkhbari
New Contributor

Lance,

Thank you very much! problem resolved now.  

0 Kudos
AlanScott
New Contributor II

If one of Lance’s answers helped you resolve your issue, please mark the answer as correct. Thank you.

0 Kudos
MasihAkhbari
New Contributor

Done. Thanks for the suggestion!

0 Kudos