Replication and Representation

07-04-2012 09:49 AM
Leandro-Zamudio
Occasional Contributor
I have the following situation.

I have a Feature Class with Representations in an ArcSDE Geodatabase (version 10) which was replicated and it's synchronized to another ArcSDE periodically (One way from parent to child).

According to ESRI documentation Representations are not supported by replication, and the problem is that I (as manager) constantly add/edit Representation Rules to the feature class, and i have to unregister and create the replica over and over again because neither the "Synchronize Changes" and "Import Schema Changes" operations for distributed GDB works.
I have designed a solution which is to create the same representation rule en both ArcSDE Geodatabases (Primary and Replica), the problem is that is very unsafe because if i add accidentaly a rule and delete it the ID it's not the correct.

What would be the best solution to keep the representations (and it's rules) in both Geodatabases synchronized.

Greetings
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor
This has been brought up here as well http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/25140-Export-FeatureClass-from-SDE-breaks-Representation-Class?p=21.... Due to lack of any other answers, I'm assuming that either we're missing something really obvious in the documentation or; very few people are actually using representation and you and I are the only people to discover it doesn't work in a replication environment or; this is the default behavior, and like the "upgrade" to metadata, this makes our job easier.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
So, what you are saying is if you replica from one geodatabase sde to another sde, and happen to have representations, those same database objects are not being transferred.  We have been using reps for a few years, and until 10, had no issue.  Issue at 10, was when a SDE was replicated to a file GDB, Reps were being dropped, this is a bug.  Reps between SDE to SDE has always worked.

Or are you referring to changing the properties on 1 sde instance and hoping that throught the replica they will change, much like domains, where if a domian is changed, it is not replicated across.
0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor
rep gets dropped regardless of the db flavor. Interesting, though, all the table modifications replicate, and I can DROP the representation from a replica, but can't access its properties.
0 Kudos