Select to view content in your preferred language

Replicas and Permissions

02-06-2012 06:24 AM
PaulKroseman
Frequent Contributor
I am attempting to setup a laptop for disconnected reading and editing. I need the user to have read-only permission to some feature classes while still being able to synchronize the one way replication.

ServerDB-Replication-LocalDB-Permission
..FC1......<-2way->....FC1.....Read/Write
..FC2.......--1way->....FC2.....Read
..FC3.......--1way->....FC3.....Read

User needs permission to synchronize all 3 replicas. Is it possible to setup this structure?
I'm also running into the issue with "Must be Replica owner to perform this operation." while synchronizing. Can I set permissions on replicas such that UserA can create a replica and grant UserB permission to synchronize?

Using ArcGIS 10 SP3 on all systems. Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
PaulKroseman
Frequent Contributor
Anyone have thoughts on this?
0 Kudos
GaryMacDougall
Esri Contributor
You need to have permissions to edit the data to synchronize. One way to do it is to create the replica as one user (user1)and set up a second user (user2) with read-only permissions to the data for general access. The replica stores the connection sting and by default includes user1 with encrypted password. So user 2 should be able to sync the replica (in which case it connects as user 1 automatically) while still having read-only access.

thanks
Gary
PaulKroseman
Frequent Contributor
I don't see how to get User2 to synchronize through User1. When using User2 to synchronize I get the error "Must be Replica owner to perform this operation."

I get this error even when User2 has read/write permissions and the replica was created by another user.
0 Kudos