removing pyramids on a geotiff

Jump to solution
05-16-2012 12:51 PM
jonathangamble
New Contributor III
Hi,

I'm trying to remove pyramids built on a geotiff.  The pyramids are internal, so I can't simply delete a .OVR file.  Also, I've run the build pyramids geoprocessing tool with the pyramid level to '0' and have had no luck.

Any thoughts?

Jon
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelanieHarlow
Esri Contributor
If you have a geotiff (or something like MrSID) that has internal pyramids, the Build Pyramids tool with the setting of 0 levels will not impact this file. This TIFF file would have to be rewritten to remove the pyramids and the Build Pryamds tool doesn't do this. You could use the Copy Raster tool and write out a new TIFF file and uncheck the Build Pyramids option in the Environments.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MelanieHarlow
Esri Contributor
If you have a geotiff (or something like MrSID) that has internal pyramids, the Build Pyramids tool with the setting of 0 levels will not impact this file. This TIFF file would have to be rewritten to remove the pyramids and the Build Pryamds tool doesn't do this. You could use the Copy Raster tool and write out a new TIFF file and uncheck the Build Pyramids option in the Environments.
0 Kudos
jonathangamble
New Contributor III
Thanks Melanie ... I was hoping it didn't have to come down to that 😉

Anyways, I just made a model to copy everything over to new tiffs and made sure I unchecked build pyramids in the environment settings like you had suggested.

Jon.
0 Kudos
JohnCobb1
New Contributor
Not an ESRI solution, but I've removed the internal pyramids of a TIFF using the tiffsplit tool in the OSGeo4W shell (During install, include the libtiff package).
0 Kudos