relationship between features

04-27-2015 08:12 AM
EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I've been doing a ton of reading on creating relationship classes in order to do something in particular but I still feel like I don't understand it and can't seem to make it work.  Maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

I want to have 2 layers, sewer manholes and sewer pipes, related so that if I move a manhole, the vertex from the pipe that is snapped to it moves as well.  First, is a relationship class how this is done?  In my reading it would appear so but I never actually saw any instructions on how to make this specific functionality happen after the relationship class is created.  At this time, I do not want anything else to happen as far as the data itself being linked, just be able to move features together.  I suppose I was expecting some sort of model builder of sorts that would allow me to say something like "link layer A and layer B by vertex.  if feature in layer A moves, move coincident vertex in layer B" but after creating the relationship class I have no idea what the next step is.

Apparently I'm either doing something wrong or a relationship isn't the appropriate way to do this task.  Any advice?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Eric,

Take a look at Geometric Networks.  This should provide you the functionality you are looking for.  For example, take a look at the section 'Moving Existing Geometric Features' in the following link.

EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor

Thanks.  I'll check that out.  I was under the impression that that required the Network Analyst extension but it doesn't appear so after browsing through quickly.

I suppose I got hung up on the "relationship class" from something I heard once and thought that was the answer I was looking for.

Thanks

0 Kudos
EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor

I've looked into geometric networks and am having issues getting it working (incorrect edit version type?) but before I press on with solving the issues, I have a concern.  It appears as though archiving is not possible on the geometric network data.  The reason I want the networked data is to use it in a feature service for editing in Collector and I need sync enabled.  In order to enable sync, archiving needs to be enabled as well.  Does this mean that this data cannot be used in this way then?

Thanks

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You are correct that you will not be able to enable archiving on a feature dataset that contains a geometric network.  What I would recommend doing is replicating your data to another enterprise geodatabase using the option 'Simple Model'.  You can then create your feature service from this replica and synchronize your edits back to the geometric network.

ArcGIS Help 10.1

The simple model does not replicate topologies, geometric networks, parcel fabrics, and annotation and dimension feature classes, nor does it version data on the child.

0 Kudos
EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor

Thanks.  Although I can't enable archiving I can still enable sync afterall.  So I should be good.

The replication should be useful as well since I am hoping to do a topology on the same data.

0 Kudos