Readability of LONGGG text field in Identify tool

12-05-2012 09:41 AM
CarmenDurham
Occasional Contributor II
Hello all,

This seems like it should be easy, but I cannot figure it out.  ArcGIS 10 sp5

We have reports that are pulled from a Crime Reporting system in which there is a "narrative" field that the Crime Analysts need to see within ArcGIS. It contains the details about the crime report and is essentially a text field of variable/unlimited size.  The records are geocoded to address points so there are situations where we have multiple points/crimes at the same location. I have cast this field to types similar to nvarchar(max) or nvarchar(4000) in SQL just to try different things.  Ultimately, it is in a file geodatabase and a text field (4000).

The problem is being able to view the narrative in its entirety through ArcGIS.

1) Identify tool - will not "wrap text" for this long field in identify dialog and there is no way to "scroll" that field to view all of the information. All is seen is one line of the narrative.  The plus for the Identify tool is that it will identify ALL crimes at a particular address and you can scroll through the different records in the identify dialog.

2) html popup - Shows ALL of the narrative text in a perfectly readable format BUT will only show for one record at any location. I am guessing it only shows the first record it finds(?).  There doesn't seem to be a way to view multiple crimes if they happened all at same address.  Or if there is, please tell me!

So, Any idea of how the user can click on an x-y location and it return info about all the records like Identify, but show ALL the information in a really long text field?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Carmen
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies