Geocoding Address Locators missing

08-08-2012 06:33 PM
warrenroberts
Occasional Contributor II
in both home and my classroom, address locators are missing (except for one MGRS .. military grid) are missing.  In my classroom I am running 10.0 and on my laptop 10.1 .. anyone else have same problem?[ATTACH=CONFIG]16788[/ATTACH]
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
EnzoCrescentini1
New Contributor
I have the same problem. I went into the directory on the c-drive and they are missing......I have not deleted them. Any idea about what is happening?
0 Kudos
BethJohnson
New Contributor
I'm having the same problem.  Both my laptop and PC are missing all address locators, but MGRC and on my c drive they are gone as well.  I must be missing something.
PC: 64-bit windows7 ARc10 patches upto Data
Laptop: 32-bitwindowsy ArcGIS10.
Help Please.
Beth J. MN
0 Kudos
BethJohnson
New Contributor
Sorry for all my typo's....  Geez.
I just got off the phone with ESRI tech support.  I'm told that the other address locators have become part of a subscription or paid service, so are no longer available by default/free.
Beth J.
0 Kudos
RhondaYoung
New Contributor
How about that ESRI?  They gouge you each and every time.
RebeccaWilson
New Contributor III
I am not sure if this article will help you, but there are some address locators available through ArcGIS online, so you will need an account with them. I can't say with any absolute confidence that it isn't a paid service, but the article doesn't indicate anything about subscribing or anything along those lines. (I am using ArcMap at work in a government agency, so I'm not sure what we have and haven't purchased).

http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/36444

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
RhondaYoung
New Contributor
Thanks for the article.  I followed the instructions and I'll see what happens.  There is also a FREE geocoding site from Texas A&M.
The link is rather odd and I usually get a ooops, do you really wanna go there pop-up because you actually get sent to a site hosted at TX A&M.    https://webgis.usc.edu/Default.aspx

I think it used to be hosted by USC and has since migrated to Texas A&M.  I've been using it with good results.  Rhonda
0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello All

Coincident with ArcGIS 10.1 SP1, the on-line geocoding locators visible to ArcGIS for Desktop were replaced by the new World service.  Batch geocoding using the World service requires an ArcGIS Online subscription and will consume credits:

http://geocode.arcgis.com/arcgis/index.html#/Batch_geocoding/02q000000004000000/

The old locators used prior to SP1 are currently still accessible at the URL described in the KB article 36444, but will go offline at some point in 2013:  http://tasks.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/services
You may add these locators back into your Desktop UI using the attached DefaultLocators.xml file (back up your current copy first).

Why has Esri made this change?  We have built the World service in partnership with data partners; you will appreciate it takes considerable resource to capture and maintain the world's address information and build it into reliable high quality web services.  Batch geocoding consumes millions of transactions daily here at Esri; we cannot absorb the rapidly growing cost of global demand for this, but we will continue to support free map navigation and address inspection using geocoding locators we host.

Esri also ships free geocoding locators for the US in the Data & Maps media that ships with ArcGIS, and of course we also supply locator definition files for the US, so you are able to make locators using your own data sources.

We hope you understand our situation with respect to batch geocoding, if you have any further questions please contact our support team or your account representative at Esri.

Regards
0 Kudos
SusanRadke
New Contributor
I am trying to use the World Geocoding Service and I am logged into my AGOL for Organizations subscription service, but first I got a message saying that I need to be logged into my subscription service (which I am), and then I got another error message saying that "There was an error trying to process this table." So, what do I do now?????
0 Kudos