Select to view content in your preferred language

Re-Organization question

Jump to solution
06-12-2015 01:29 PM
KristenHook
Deactivated User

So I just got hired as the only planner in years to have GIS training in my local planning office.  The GIS folders on the sever are a mess.  I'm trying to re organize the system before I start major projects.  My biggest issue is that if i start moving shape files around the ArcMap files will lose the data and i will have to spend forever reconnecting each layer.  Is there anyway around this issue?

Thank you

0 Kudos
12 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Kristen, I'm working on a set of tools to due just that for our organization and will share once I finish my python addin and figure out how to clearly document it for others to use.  My issue is, not only are we moving from mapped drives to UNC references,  I'm also working on changing all the users profile connections to a common location,  and the trickier part is getting shapes to gdb, coverages to gdb, etc. it'll be a week before I'm back at it, but getting closer. Anyway, I'll be happy to share once I get at least most scenarios covered.  In any case, probably can't do 100%, but with thousands of mxds, and starting with about 4000 unique broken links, if I can simplify 80% for my agency, that is a great saving.

bottom line, do planning....and keep a list of original path, new path....and old type and new type if moving shapes etc into fgdb.​     Oh, and I suggest keeping the old structure and creating the new structure.....force a broken-link by renaming the old folder....point to the new.....all before you delete the old structure.   Lots of things can be in play when you take this on.....but with technology and best practices changing over the years, what worked great years ago can be improved just be reorganizing into a more logical structure, especially for those that may not have the history to understand why it was done like that in the past.  My opinion.

oh, and I think Frank Garofalo​ is the owner of this group.  He maybe can move it to a better location, if Kristen doesn't.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

just glad I work in a USB stick environment

WesMiller
Deactivated User

As you identify\download\create the most current data begin loading the data into Local Government Information Model | ArcGIS for Local Government  then start pointing your most used projects and any new projects you create to the LGIM database. As a side note i think you may have to have an advanced license to create this data structure, but it's agreat place to start.