Raster will not display

08-23-2011 01:10 PM
ChristopherBlinn1
Occasional Contributor III
Hello,

I have a raster that will not display.  When trying to view it as an RGB composite, nothing displays.  The pixels have RGB values (between 0 and 255), but it will not draw?  I built pyramids and everything but I am at a loss of what else to do.  Any ideas?

Here is some information about the raster:
Format:  FBDBR
Pixel Type:  Unsigned Integer
Pixel Depth:  8 Bit
Colormap:  absent
Pyramids:  Level - 8, resampling - Nearest Neighbor
Compression:  JPEG(55)

I have calculated the statistics for each band without any issues.  Hopefully this can be fixed, it took about 120 hours to create this raster!

Thanks,
Chris
0 Kudos
9 Replies
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
What is the uncompressed size of the raster (Right Click raster > Properties > Source)?  From the same source tab, what is the min/max values of the raster?  How was the raster created?  Are you able to identify pixels with the Identify tool?
0 Kudos
ChristopherBlinn1
What is the uncompressed size of the raster (Right Click raster > Properties > Source)?  From the same source tab, what is the min/max values of the raster?  How was the raster created?  Are you able to identify pixels with the Identify tool?

Uncompressed size:  72.4 GB
Min:  0 (All Bands)
Max:  255 (All Bands)

The raster was created when I clipped a larger raster using the Image Analysis Window.  I exported the clipped Raster.

Yes, when using the identity tool, the pixels have RGB values ranging from 0 to 255.
0 Kudos
ChristopherBlinn1
After playing around in ArcCatalog, the raster does display when the scale is 1:1000 or lower (1:800, 1:500, etc.)

Does this mean my pyramids were only created on one level?
0 Kudos
PrasantaBhattarai
Esri Contributor
If you can see image at the base pixel level, raster pyramids might not have built correctly or are corrupt. How did you build pyramids on the raster? Did you use Build Pyramid geoprocessing tool, or let ArcMap/Catalog build pyramid when you first added/previewed the raster. I understand it takes some time but you can try re-building pyramids using geoprocessing tool (Toolboxes\Data Management Tools\Raster\Raster Properties\Build Pyramids).

What kind of raster is it? Bilinear interpolation or cubic convolution should be used for continuous data such as satellite imagery or aerial photography and it is recommended that you use nearest neighbor for discrete (nominal) data or raster datasets with color maps, such as land-use data, scanned maps, and pseudo color images.  You can set the pyramid resampling method from Environment Settings > Raster Storage > Pyramid resampling technique when building pyramid from geoprocessing tools.
0 Kudos
ChristopherBlinn1
How did you build pyramids on the raster? Did you use Build Pyramid geoprocessing tool, or let ArcMap/Catalog build pyramid when you first added/previewed the raster. I understand it takes some time but you can try re-building pyramids using geoprocessing tool (Toolboxes\Data Management Tools\Raster\Raster Properties\Build Pyramids).

I tried both methods.  In fact, the Build Pyramids tool did not run very long, only about a minute.  I think this would suggest that my pyramids are corrupt.

What kind of raster is it?

It is a File Geodatabase Raster Dataset.

You can set the pyramid resampling method from Environment Settings > Raster Storage > Pyramid resampling technique when building pyramid from geoprocessing tools.

Before running the Build Pyramids tool again, do I need to remove my current pyramids (is that even possible?) or perform any other task?
0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
You can remove the pyramids by deleting the .ovr or .rrd file from Windows Explorer.  You can also view the file size there as well to help determine if it is legitimate.
0 Kudos
ChristopherBlinn1
The Build Pyramids is running now.  The process seems to be taking much longer than it did before, so I hope that is a sign that it is working.  I estimate it will take the better part of the day to finish - will post results once completed.

Thank you both for your help!
0 Kudos
OmasanAkporiaye
New Contributor
Hi. I'm having the same problem.  The rasters display at 1:500,000 and below. Above 1:600,000 they do not display.  I ran the Build Pyramid tool and recreated pyramids successfully.  However the problem still persists.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi. I'm having the same problem. The rasters display at 1:500,000 and below. Above 1:600,000 they do not display. I ran the Build Pyramid tool and recreated pyramids successfully. However the problem still persists.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Have you tried deleting the .ovr or .rrd files in Windows Explorer before rebuilding the pyramids?  I would also try using the Copy Raster tool to see if a copy of the image will display correctly.
0 Kudos