Select to view content in your preferred language

Raster Function on-the-fly Clip doesn't generate stats based on displayed cells only

09-27-2011 10:38 AM
MarkZweifler
Deactivated User
I was hoping that using on-the-fly clip Raster Function would allow me to generate a histogram/ stats that only pertain to the resultant displayed cells. However, it appears that my temp CLIP layers still use the original source raster for any stats for display of Stretched or Classified renderers

I am working with U.S.  national extent raster datasets with a VAT ( i.e. not imagery). So for example if I was to use a Natural Breaks Classifiers to render an on-the fly clip to a State ( e.g. Michigan) of a national layer with VALUEs of 1-100, I would expect and desire that a Natural Breaks Classification or a Stretch would be based on stats calculated only from the display cells ( i.e. cells inside of a clip of the State of Michigan) and not the full extent of the source raster that covers the entire lower 48 states. But alas, it appears that the on-the-fly clip only affects the display and also allows me to use the "zoom to layer" function to now zoom to my on-the-fly clip area. THe resultant tempoary Raster Function layer does NOT seem to allow me to generate stats for clipped out cells only.
I'm hoping that I am missing something. I want to have my data stored one-time as a national raster dataset and be able to use on-the-fly Raster Function Clip layer for getting at a histogram/stats for cases when I want to only look at sub-regions of the raster ( e.g. a State or an ecoregion). Using a stretched renderer with the stats from 'Current display extent' option comes close to what I need but it appears that the display extent stats use source raster as reference -so that the bounding rectangle of the display is used ( not what I want) when what I want is that it only use the cells displayed within my clip

Thanks for any help or suggestions , including better understanding of where ESRI intends to go with this Raster Function capability.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
Have you tried adding the Statistics function to the clipped area?  You may have to create referenced mosaic datasets and then perform these two functions (Clip and Statistics) to obtain the data you are desiring.  I do not think the On-the-Fly clip you are describing will create the desired results.
0 Kudos