"Pick Address from Map" not work

05-15-2012 01:00 PM
RachelWiken
New Contributor
I'm trying to correct several hundred geocoding records which did not match. I know the locations so I'm trying to manually drop the points on the map with the "pick address from map" tool.

I select an unmatched record, click the "pick address from map" button, and then select a point on the map. The record changes to Matched with a 100 score but no point appears on my map. I've tried every little trick I could think of - exporting, highlighting, etc. That point does not exist. But my table says it does. NOT HELPFUL.

Has anyone else encountered this? Ways to correct or work around?

Right now the only idea I have is to manually search for another address point (none of these records have match options because they are so far removed from my region and the road file), select these false points, stop matching, start editing, and manually slide the point to the correct location hundred of miles away.

In the end, I just need the point locations, not a clean set of addresses, if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Rachel
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
DaytonPoff
New Contributor III
Hi Rachel,

I'm having about the same problem. When I click on the map to pick the address ArcMap throws my point somewhere completely different than where I clicked. The only solution I've found is to pick the address three times. I do this because the second time doesn't usually put the point where I click either. Funny...never had this problem with 9.x. When you pick your address does it add x,y coordinates in the geocoding results for the point you are working on?

-Dayton
0 Kudos
RachelWiken
New Contributor
Atleast you are getting a point! I haven't even figured out how to do that.

No it does not add X,Y coordinates. If I try to calculate x or y, it returns an error message or a value of 1.

It shows the record as being matched in the table but does not create a real point. Have not found any solution to this problem and others at my agency are having the same issue.  Hoping this is fixed in next update of Arc10
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
At the risk of sound like a Parrot: what sp level are you running?  I have v10, sp3 installed.  Just for fun I tried to replicate you problem.  To be perfectly honest, this is the first time I've ever used the 'Pick Address from Map' option.

When I left mouse click, nothing happens.  When I right mouse click on my 'desired' location I get a context menu; the first choice is pick address.  There appears to be a couple of options checked below that first entry.  Anyway, when I right click on the location and then select  'Pick Address' from the context menu, it adds a point, and since I have add X Y turned on in my locator, it adds the x,y.  It's actually pretty cool; if you have a matched address point highlighted in the Interactive Rematch window, you can 'move' it to where ever you want, and the the x y data is updated accordingly, while the actual address remains the same.

Is it just begginers luck that I got it to work?  How are you trying to get it to work?

Hope this helps-
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
RachelWiken
New Contributor
I have Sp 3 as well.

This does not appear to be a universal problem as I haven't found much on the boards about it.

I swear I tried every possible combo of options in May when I was on this project but now I'm wondering if it might be a glitch in my agency's address locator. We have a personalized engine of addresses, parcels, local points of interest, etc. I just tried it again using the default US Streets from ArcOnline and I was able to add a point. If I use our internal address locator, I can right click on "Pick address" and the table will change to matched but the point will not be created.

Interesting.. I will report back to my fellow GISers that I might have atleast narrowed down the source of this problem.

Thanks

Rachel
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Rachel-  are your points in an SDE geodatabase?  In  my 'test' I just geocoded a table of two address in a personal geodatabase: my address and one I made up that I knew would not hit.  If your address points are in an SDE gdb, that might explain it, since you have to have write permissions (which I assume you do) but in order to add a point, you'd need to open an edit session.
0 Kudos
RachelWiken
New Contributor
After some more testing, it appears to just be a bug with our main in-house address locator, which is a composite of several other locators. That appears to be the issue. All the individual locators work ok, but when compiled, this feature doesn't work. Our GIS team is looking into it.

Thanks for the suggestions!
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
That's interesting; I won't be back to that client site till Monday, but when I get there I'll try it against a composite I have there. That should give us a clue as to where the bug is; your locator(s) or the tool. 

Maybe Brad or one the other of the ESRI geocoding team could chime in on this...
0 Kudos
NataliaAustin
New Contributor
Yes, this same issue you are describing is happening to me too.  I just switched to ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1.  Wonder if that has anything to do with it...?  My python scripts stopped working when I switched over as well.
0 Kudos
JoshMiller
New Contributor
I forgot to start an editing session when I encountered a similar situation.
0 Kudos