Select to view content in your preferred language

Query Layer: what governs ability to assign a spatial reference?

01-04-2012 06:33 AM
Frequent Contributor
ArcGIS 10, ArcInfo, SP3
Hello!  What determines whether or not the New Query Layer dialog allows you to select a spatial reference?  I have compared the fields and field types between those which permit the assignment of a spatial reference, and those which don't, but I can't figure it out.  The tables I'm importing are Oracle Spatial.

Thank you!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor
You should always be able to specify a spatial reference in the advanced options page of the New Query Layer dialog. When validating the query the advanced properties such as spatial reference are determined. If any of these properties could not be determined these properties must be specified before the Query Layer is created. You can always change the advanced properties by selecting the �??Show advanced options�?� checkbox on the  New Query Layer dialog and then selecting �??Next >�?�.

Hope this helps,
-Brent
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Thank you for your response; I also thought I should always be able to specify a spatial reference in the advance options page, but this is not always the case.  There are occasions (see attached) when the spatial reference options are blanked out and unavailable.  What could it be about the table I'm trying to view which prevents me from assigning a spatial reference?  I think the answer lies in something I don't understand about Oracle Spatial--what must have been enabled/recorded in an Oracle Spatial table in order for the query layer dialog to recognize the possibility of a projection?  Thanks again for your input!
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Did you define an SRID in USER_SDO_GEOM_METADATA?

- V
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
I am working with a view generated by another workgroup, and can't see USER_SDO_GEOM_METADATA.  I'm trying to figure out how to communicate back to the view's owner what I need him to modify/adjust in order to use the spatial reference.
0 Kudos
BrentPierce
Esri Contributor
MLF,

What field types are being returned from the query which defines the query layer?  If the resultset which is returned from the query does not have a spatial column the spatial properties will be greyed out in a similar fashion to the graphic you attached to your earlier post.

-Brent
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Brent--I don't see a difference in data types between the tables which allow a spatial reference to be set and tables which don't allow a spatial reference to be set.  They all have a combination of: Long Integer, Text, Date, and the one that won't take a spatial reference also has a Double.
0 Kudos