Project dumped in my lap. Need help updating a GDB with client data (4 point files)

02-19-2014 03:02 AM
ArcUser1972
New Contributor
I'm totally lost here. The 2 people who were in charge of this project left last year and now it's time to update this data. We have a Geodatabase with multiple features. One being SLEEVES, we have 4 updates to these from our client. They sent them in an email in Excel format. So I have the coordinates of each point and other descriptive data. That's all I have to work with. Basically I need to add these 4 lines to the database with all the other sleeves so they show up in the affected MXD maps as well. If anybody could walk me through this I'd really appreciate it. Not sure where to begin. ArcCatalog or ArcMap or both? Thank you
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
You can create an XY Event Layer from the excel table using the Make XY Event Layer tool.  You can then Append the output from this tool to the SLEEVES feature class.
0 Kudos
ArcUser1972
New Contributor
Thanks JSkinn3 Can you elaborate a little more? I'm really new to ARC and not sure what you mean. I see that the sleeve in the GDB are a LINE Feature, which is odd to me cause I thought they were points. Maybe since they are sleeves and have a begin/end. I had the 4 lines in Excel brought into ARC using the XY event. So now I have a 4 pt shapefile. How do I append them? Using Arc and the merge tool?
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
I would recommend contacting Tech Support.  They will be able to walk you through this process much faster.
0 Kudos
ArcUser1972
New Contributor
Seems like I'm close but I cant get the data to load. I have a new sleeve (blank)feature created to try and get these 4 sleeves added. I have all my fields loaded in the new blank feature.. I get the following when I run the Append. I'm using the blank sleeve feature for now till I can figure out how to add it to the full sleeve feature. Any thoughts? thanks

Start Time: Wed Feb 19 09:23:20 2014
WARNING 000594: Input feature 0: No support for this geometry type..
WARNING 000595: C:\Users\ArcUser1972~1\AppData\Local\Temp\PMPL_Sleeves_201402103.fid contains the full list of features not able to be copied.
WARNING 000594: Input feature 1: No support for this geometry type..
WARNING 000594: Input feature 2: No support for this geometry type..
WARNING 000594: Input feature 3: No support for this geometry type..
Executed (Append) successfully.
End Time: Wed Feb 19 09:23:20 2014 (Elapsed Time: 0.00 seconds)
WARNING 001003: Datum conflict between input and output.
0 Kudos
ArcUser1972
New Contributor
Update, I fixed this error. WARNING 001003: Datum conflict between input and output. Still not getting fields loaded.
0 Kudos