Problems with transforming a CAD data

02-18-2011 06:39 AM
BinkeWang
New Contributor
Hi there,

I try to georeference a CAD (2011, dxf) data on my ArcGIS9.2/ArcMap. The georeference goes ok, the CAD looks fine also, but only at the ArcMap session. If close the ArcMap, and use the newly georeferenced CAD again otherwhere, it can not keep the new coordinates even the wld/prj file is there (can display, but go off a little bit, can not line up completely). It seems ArcGIS 9.2 only can do a temporary georeference, and can not maintain the permanent transform result. I don't know if this is right? Otherwise what is the problem here? or how can we keep the transformed coordinates for a CAD?

Since I can not have permanently transformed CAD file, I try to convert the CAD to a shapefile right after Update Georeference at that ArcMap session. The shapefile's coordinate can be maintined fine this way, but the graphic features all screw up completely (see attachments). I don't know if there are any conflicts between AutoCAD2011 and ArcGIS9.2, or I can not convert a CAD at ArcMap/georeference session?

Thanks a lot for help

Binke
0 Kudos
1 Reply
AnantThunuguntla
New Contributor III
Hi there,

I try to georeference a CAD (2011, dxf) data on my ArcGIS9.2/ArcMap. The georeference goes ok, the CAD looks fine also, but only at the ArcMap session. If close the ArcMap, and use the newly georeferenced CAD again otherwhere, it can not keep the new coordinates even the wld/prj file is there (can display, but go off a little bit, can not line up completely). It seems ArcGIS 9.2 only can do a temporary georeference, and can not maintain the permanent transform result. I don't know if this is right? Otherwise what is the problem here? or how can we keep the transformed coordinates for a CAD?

Since I can not have permanently transformed CAD file, I try to convert the CAD to a shapefile right after Update Georeference at that ArcMap session. The shapefile's coordinate can be maintined fine this way, but the graphic features all screw up completely (see attachments). I don't know if there are any conflicts between AutoCAD2011 and ArcGIS9.2, or I can not convert a CAD at ArcMap/georeference session?

Thanks a lot for help

Binke

Hi Binke,

AutoCAD 2011 format is not supported on ArcGIS 9.2. Have you tried saving it in 2007 format and performing the same operations to see if it works?
0 Kudos