Problems with deleting a raster dataset

07-19-2012 10:24 AM
LawrenceFujiwara
New Contributor III
I have been attempting to delete a raster dataset in my file geodatabase. I can delete a feature class and feature datasets no problem ( I simply right click and delete and its gone).
However my raster datasets does not work that way. I have also attempted to delete by using the delete tool found in ArcTool in Data Managment to attempt to delete my raster dataset (I have attached the image of this)[ATTACH=CONFIG]16261[/ATTACH]

Also to note these raster images in my geodatabase seem to have no information in them. When I go to item description and try to go to preview it says "Invalid raster dataset. Failed to create raster layer." I am not sure how this happened. On my other geodatabase called "Default.gdb" (a test one since I ran into problems stated above on my main geodatabase). I was able to create raster datasets by simply right click -> import -> raster datasets. My "Default.gdb" seems to work fine (the image is there and everything) but I am unable to do the same for my main geodatabase that I have been working on. Please help!

p.s If there are any screen shots or more info needed to fix this problem I can provide those as well.  Thank you!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Try creating a Raster Dataset with the same name by right-clicking on the File Geodatabase > New > Raster Dataset.  If it succeeds, right-click on the Raster Dataset > Delete.
0 Kudos
LawrenceFujiwara
New Contributor III
Hi, Thank you for your responce. I have done what you have stated but I got this error message.

I named it the same as my raster dataset that I am trying to delete.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16263[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
LawrenceFujiwara
New Contributor III
Since I got an answer that didn't solve my issue, I created a new file geodatabase and imported everything again. I am glad I did not have alot of data to transfer.

Am I the only one with this issue?
0 Kudos
JamesHarrington
New Contributor III
I have a similar problem, when attempting to create a raster using Spatial Analyst/natural neighbor (all paramaters seemed to be in order) I got error:99999 and the raster was not created. But apparently an empty one was created in the file geodatabase and I cannot delete it, I get the error 'not licensed to perform this operation' same problem when I try to rename/overwrite it. This is why I don't use file geodatabases. Never have this problem (or many others I found w/FGDBs) with personal gdbs.
0 Kudos
EricScherff
New Contributor II
I am having a similar problem, and am also unable to delete a File Geodatabase Raster Dataset. I actually intended to rename it initially, but this did not work. It appears to be corrupted, as it will not load into an .mxd or allow me to see its Properties (using Arc Catalog). I initially removed the raster from the Arc Map document, re-saved the .mxd, and closed the .mxd before attempting to rename the raster. Next, I tried closing and re-opening Arc Catalog before deleting it. Then, I logged off the PC, logged back on and tried to delete it. Finally, I have now powered down the PC, powered back up, and am still not able to delete the raster. I am attaching a copy of the error message here: [ATTACH=CONFIG]19133[/ATTACH]

I am using Windows 7, ArcGIS 10 Build 4400 (SP5) Arc Info license. Help please!

Eric
0 Kudos